67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:29 AM
Senior Chief

Question how can you tell if a steering column is 'collapsed'?

I had the top end of the steering column apart (67 bird w/ 4 on floor) to replace the turn signal switch. It went back together OK, but I think the lower internals may be damaged. The upper bearing was very loose with about a half inch of play up and down... so I put the c-clip (that holds the upper bearing on the shaft) on the lower groove. This lower groove usually has a spring clip in it... (which is basically a small circle of spring steel). I removed the circular spring clip in order to install the c-clip and have everything fitting together the way it should. Everything went back together OK, but now the center shaft sticks out too far and when the steering wheel is installed, there is a space of about a 1/2 inch between the bottom of the wheel and the top of the shaft.

So I know this is not right... I suspect there is some damaged part deeper inside the column... but I am not sure what parts to check, or what to do at this point. It seem that the outer "jacket" of the column is sitting down about 1/2 inch to an inch lower than it should be, and therefore, everything is installing down lower on the column... creating about 1/2 inch to an inch of looseness in the upper assembly.

ANyone have any ideas?

Old 08-29-2008, 11:16 AM

Look up under the dash. There'll be a portion of the column that looks like expanded metal. this is where they colapse.

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 08-29-2008, 08:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ive seen them collapse from dropping them on end too.
The plastic cover will need to be removed to see the collapsible
part.The shaft is telescoping and is pinned solid with plastic.
when enough force is placed on the shaft the plastic will break allowing
it to collapse.

Last edited by Cammer-6; 08-29-2008 at 08:32 PM.