Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-15-2008, 11:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Pressure Plate Bolts

Can I just use grade 8: 3/8 bolt 1" long & lock washers from the hardware store ? Summit sells black oxide grade 8 bolts, and I'm not sure of the purpose of the black oxide?

Old 04-16-2008, 05:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey Scott, I think you'll find 1" a bit too long, 3/4" should be fine, aslong as you dont protrude through the back of the flywheel. I still have my old Hayes clutch bolted to my old flywheel from memory so i'll check the length for you, they were a chev 3/8" pressure plate bolt that I used.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You need to get "real" pressure plate bolts. Grade 8 hardware is not the same.
Part of a pressure plate bolt, is left unthreaded for a reason. The shoulder at the back of the bolt works like a dowel, to line up the pressure plate.

Grade 8 may be the strongest bolt at the hardware store. Our cars have a lot of bolts that go beyond grade 8.

For feets sake.
Get real pressure plate bolts.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUICK-SILVER
You need to get "real" pressure plate bolts. Grade 8 hardware is not the same.
Part of a pressure plate bolt, is left unthreaded for a reason. The shoulder at the back of the bolt works like a dowel, to line up the pressure plate.

Grade 8 may be the strongest bolt at the hardware store. Our cars have a lot of bolts that go beyond grade 8.

For feets sake.
Get real pressure plate bolts.
This is true, pressure plate bolts aren't run of the mill 3/8 fasteners. Something else to watch for, some pressure plates have the cover holes so close you have to use a special bolt that has an extended shoulder with a small hex on it.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:01 PM

This thread came up at a good time for me. I have used the wrong bolts and will get the proper bolts/washers today.
This forum is flat full of info and on the ball people.
Thanks

Old 04-16-2008, 06:29 PM
Suspended

my experience is that the length of that factory pressure plate bolt is between standard length hardware bolts so you will have to go with the next size longer. The next size longer also should have the unthreaded shoulder on it.

If you go that rout you need to run a tap all the way through the threaded hole. From the factory the threaded holes start to taper a bit as it exits the crank side of the flywheel. If you torque the bolt down according to spec it will torque up as it threads into the tapered part of the hole and you will not get proper clamping force on the bolt or the pressure plate and you disc will slip.

Tap the hole all the way through and use a grade 8 or better bolt with the unthreaded shoulder. Loc tite and lock washers also a plus,

Old 04-18-2008, 08:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

thx for the responses, very informative. i think i'll just order a set.

seems that the black oxide treatment is to prevent corrosion.

Old 04-19-2008, 12:54 AM
Senior Chief

you can usually get that kinda stuff at local speed shops, sometimes even advance has them in the mr.gasket stuff, that's where i ended up getting mine