Old 06-28-2002, 10:28 AM

I have a Hurst Dual Gate Shifter from a 68 GTO and plan to install it in my 71 GTO. Can I use the stock 71 shifter cable with the Hurst shifter and is the Dual Gate Neutral Safety Switch necessary? The shifter I have obtained does not have the Neutral safety switch - but I have found one. Thanx

Old 06-28-2002, 10:28 AM

I have a Hurst Dual Gate Shifter from a 68 GTO and plan to install it in my 71 GTO. Can I use the stock 71 shifter cable with the Hurst shifter and is the Dual Gate Neutral Safety Switch necessary? The shifter I have obtained does not have the Neutral safety switch - but I have found one. Thanx

Old 07-26-2002, 07:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to 428GTO70

I have a 70 gto and am planning on installing the 68 his hers in mine also. I have already thought about this and figure it depends on if you have the linkage to your steering column still equiped. Your car from factory should have the neutral safety and reverse light switch on your steering column and the linkage from the transmission turns the sleeve which activates the 2 switches, which is why even cars that are floor shift still have the linkage going to the column. So if your linkage is in working order you shouldnt have to bother with the dual gate switch. As far as the cable working im not 100 percent but as far as i could tell the same cable is used for both shifters.

The above is what i assume to be true, but we all know what happens when you break down the word assume. so proceed but leave alternatives

1970 GTO 458 CID .040 over 4 Bolt 428 Block, Forged Eagle 455 Crank, 295 CFM SD KRE D-Ports, SD Old Faithful HR Cam + Comp HR Lifters, PPR Maxx-lite rods, Racetec pistons, PRW 1.65 SS Rockers, 900CFM Holley HP TBI, Performer RPM, Hooker Super Comps, 3" X-Pipe into 2.5" mufflers/tailpipes, 2.75 1st TH400, Continental 13" Converter, 8.5" 3.08 Posi.
Everything installed, fired up and tuning has begun!
Old 07-27-2002, 01:18 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I was talking to my friend about this (I am doing this too soon) who installed one in his 70 and he said that the reverse lights will not work also without some tinkering. Just thought I'd mention that.

Heart Of Illinois GTO club member

"This aint no damn Chevelle"