Old 12-11-2011, 08:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Speed Control Cruise Control

Who knows how these things work? I have one on ebay and I didn't get all of it off of the car at the junkyard. The guy wants to know about how these were set. The Pontiacs had a different speedometer, I think. What about the rest. I know it is missing the trans part (speedo cable interlink).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290645491572...ELX:IT&vxp=mtr

Thanks,
Greg

Old 12-12-2011, 01:49 PM

pontiac speedo (for '66 at least, but I'd expect other years to be similar) had a knob on the speedo. see bottom of image linked below.

Another question though: is the cruise gear on auction factory original (for '66) or different (dealer/aftermarket installed)?

Old 12-12-2011, 02:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Thanks

That is how i remember it also. Others on ebay have blinker knob add-on. Cadillac used a dial on the dash. Not sure on this one, it came off of a 67 big Buick. Shoulda got all the cables, but the yard was closing, for the day, and not near me. When I returned the car was gone. Dual speedo cable gizmo on the trans to.

Greg

Old 12-12-2011, 02:56 PM
Senior Chief

The cruise controls were very different depending on the year. The one shown by 421safari is for a 66'. That one uses the speedo needle to control the speed, the controller is mounted under the steering column and a electrical signal from it is sent out to the vacuum modulator monted on drivers side valve cover, the mechanical side of the modulator is connected to the accelerator linkage. I know cause I have one on my 66' Bonnie.

The other one shown "ebay" is self contained. They are basically two devices, a control unit and a vacuum diaphram. The control unit recieves a permissive / resume electrical signal from a switch mounted on the multi purpose turn signal lever. The speed is controlled by the speedo cable from the transmission that goes into the control unit, the other speedo cable goes to the actual speedo. There are two vacuum connections on the control unit one goes to manifold vacuum and the other one goes to the vacuum diaphram, the mechanical connections on the diaphrams are the same as they both go to the accelarator linkage.

For simplicity I did not go into great detail here as there a safety backups connected to the brake pedal for both units that disable electrical and vacuum signals.

I am very well versed on both systems, I have a simulator that I built to test both systems. I am currently working on a upgrade for the existing cruise I have on my 66' from parts donated by Patrick... My goal is to use the latter system controlled by the old system. The old system look with the newer system accuracy.

You can contact me any time, I'm here to help!!

Joe

C5 Corvette Roadster

Last edited by joeg; 12-12-2011 at 03:04 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Glad I asked

That's more than I thought I would find out about these units. As a kid, none of our 60's era cars had cruise or speed control. Wait, my brother's 48 Chevrolet PU had a throttle knob and I think the 63 Studebaker Lark did too. Maybe the Stude only had an overdrive knob.

Greg