Old 09-19-2006, 01:14 PM

Default 1970 Fender Issues

I recently came across a 1970 model lemans sitting in someones backyard. Complete with 350 (YU engine code)and trans. Interior was shot and car was originally a bench seat car. 700 dollars bought it. The fenders have the common rust thru on the lower fenders near the door/rocker connection and both have filler in them. I also just purchased a 1971 lemans parts car, console car, for the doors which were in great shape, as well as the original interior for 250 dollars. It had the original 350 in it as well so I feel the deals I got were decent. I do not want to reuse the 70 fenders and was curious if Original Parts Group 1970 GTO fenders will work. I know the marker light situation is different so dows this mean I have to go with a whole 1970 gto front end? Any insight is appreciated.

Old 09-19-2006, 04:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It would be a lot cheaper to find '70 LeMans fenders. Where are you located?

Old 09-19-2006, 04:55 PM

Savannah, Georgia.

Old 09-19-2006, 05:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

the GTO fenders don't fit a lemans.Only tempest,and lemans fit each other.

Old 09-19-2006, 06:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Shane,
pm sent.

Old 09-19-2006, 08:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As above, 1970 LeMans/Tempest fenders are a one-year-only part, and in no way will interchange with the GTO fenders.
While an original engine may be worth something in certain cars, you should understand that most consider the Pontiac 350 a throwaway item. Literally, sellers will wait forever to get a $50 offer on a complete, running 350.
I only say this because it sounds like you may have placed undue value on these engines, in terms of assessing how much of a deal you got. Rest assured, for the money you paid, if the body shell is relatively rust-free, you did well.

Old 09-20-2006, 09:03 AM

The body shell is in very good shape. All I have been able to see is some rust on the lower quarters and a dent on the roof albeit a very small dent. The drivers side floorplan near the pedals has some through rust which will need to be replaced but thats about all. I have the funds available so I may just use the 70 GTO fenders and get an endura bumper and redo the whole front clip and clone the car.

Old 09-20-2006, 02:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Do a search of the archives in this section. I ran down in detail all of the parts that you would need to do this swap. Best case, it will run around $2500.
Literally, EVERYTHING except the inner fenders is unique between the GTO and LeMans.

Old 09-20-2006, 02:36 PM

I can't thank you enough for doing that bit of research. That kind of camaraderie is rare! If I may ask could u email me the parts list required for the swap at wsarnott@effinghamcounty.org. That tidbit of info would be highly appreciated and well regarded. Thanks for everyones replies.

Shane

Old 09-20-2006, 04:16 PM

You can swap the 71 nose to the 70 if you want but when I say that I mean the whole nose (grill, bumpers, fenders, hood, rad support, etc...).

It might be easier for you to just put a ram air hood on your 70 LeMans. This should be a direct bolt on deal. Otherwise, you're looking at a lot of $$ to make a GTO clone.

Old 09-20-2006, 09:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The parts list is in this EXACT section of THIS site- only it's probably been a few months. So, the post is somewhere on page 3, 4 or whatever. Just scroll down (although as I recall, the topic was something cryptic, like "Can I Do This? or "What Will It Take").
There are a ton of very small parts that will need to be changed. The endura bumper is the easy part- everything that bolts into/onto the endura is a GTO-only part. Same with everything needed to mount the endura to the frame. Even the radiator core support is a GTO-only piece.
15-20 years ago, when you could still find wrecked GTO's and buy entire front clips, the swap was much easier. Now, it takes a bit of collecting, and much deeper pockets.

Old 09-21-2006, 12:27 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to Goin' Topless

PY and Ames sell a real nice fender patch panel with a brand new inner brace that can be easily welded in by any body shop. Take your fenders off and for about 1/10th the money of a clone project, you can have two well patched fenders, ready to prime. It sounds like you have some minor body work to do anyhow, so why not?

I did this to my 70 LeMans Sport convertible and they turned out great!