THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:05 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Preppers on NatGeo

Has anyone besides me watched this show?
One man in Florida moved his family to Tenesee to avoid the polar shift that will put FL under water.
One lady makes pandemic kits and distributes them to her neighbors, and forces her family to go through pandemic drills.
A trucker hordes in his cab, and buys $1,500 worth of camo to shield his truck.
And on, and on, and on.......

While I'm sure this show exploits the people who have taken this too the extreme, and we should all be prepared for a "rainy" day. I feel some of these people may have some underlying mental disorders, ptsd, ocd, and their money may be better spend getting some counseling.

Some of the people make Bert Gummer look tame :-)

Old 02-22-2012, 08:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Proof positive that no matter how crazy you are - you can get your own show.

Just look at the choices we have out there - Intervention, Hoarders, Swamp People???

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 02-22-2012, 09:27 AM

Yep, and they just keep producing shows like (reality shows? OMG!) that because most people don't have a hobby (like we do!) and their "hobby" is watching the tube.......not me, I've better things to do!

Old 02-22-2012, 07:15 PM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
Proof positive that no matter how crazy you are - you can get your own show.

Just look at the choices we have out there - Intervention, Hoarders, Swamp People???
"Swamp People" is the worst. It's mesmerizing in its awfulness.

This week's plot: (same as last week's plot) three rednecks, who speak no known language, and with 4 viable teeth between them, carelessly handle firearms while torturing hapless reptiles.

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
Old 02-22-2012, 07:54 PM

Intervention & Hoarders are my 2 vices. But I go into a friggin depression after watching it.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB View Post
While I'm sure this show exploits the people who have taken this too the extreme, and we should all be prepared for a "rainy" day. I feel some of these people may have some underlying mental disorders, ptsd, ocd, and their money may be better spend getting some counseling.

Some of the people make Bert Gummer look tame :-)
Thanks for saying that. I was thinking the exact same thing when watching the show. Then seeing your post, I was kinda afraid to read it since I think there may be some similarly inclined folks on this board.

71 Formula 433, Splayed cap 400 block, 4" stroke Scat forged crank, 6.8 Eagle rods, custom Autotec pistons. SD 295 KRE D ports, Old faithful hybrid roller, Torker II, Holley Sniper Stealth, Tribal Tubes, TKO 600, 3.73 Eaton posi.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:40 PM
Suspended

Bert Gummer?
Last week I watched some of the Doomsday Preppers shows. Pretty normal looking if you ask me. Some people with unrealistic beliefs and unrealistic expectations--or false expectations. For example the guy in New England who said 'I don't need a gun to protect myself and my stockpile in the event society breaks down for a long duration. My community will protect me.' Oookay.

I've had a prescient feeling since 2004 or so, but I got to the point that I don't fret much over it. Once you've prepared to divorce permanently those material things in your life that you depend on for a comfortable lifestyle, you grieve for a time and discover that it's just stuff. You'll get by. I began to prepare for an economic collapse by buying a generator, etc., then got to the point of understanding that-------------you're all going to die in the inferno and I'll have my pick of your possessions when you're gone. No worries.

BigB is your name Scott? (not Scott M, BTW) It's the avatar.
I've never watched Swamp People, but my MIL wants me to.
I've watched a partial episode or two of Intervention and Hoarders. It makes me feel like I'm watching parts of Blue Velvet or The Dark Backward. Unnerving.
I like Pickers, Pawn Stars, Hardcore Pawn, How it's Made, Build it Bigger, Megastructures, Military Channel.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I see our resident Mayan prophesy believer has "chimed" in!!

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 02-23-2012, 10:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonchoV8 View Post
Bert Gummer?
Last week I watched some of the Doomsday Preppers shows. Pretty normal looking if you ask me. Some people with unrealistic beliefs and unrealistic expectations--or false expectations. For example the guy in New England who said 'I don't need a gun to protect myself and my stockpile in the event society breaks down for a long duration. My community will protect me.' Oookay.

I've had a prescient feeling since 2004 or so, but I got to the point that I don't fret much over it. Once you've prepared to divorce permanently those material things in your life that you depend on for a comfortable lifestyle, you grieve for a time and discover that it's just stuff. You'll get by. I began to prepare for an economic collapse by buying a generator, etc., then got to the point of understanding that-------------you're all going to die in the inferno and I'll have my pick of your possessions when you're gone. No worries.

BigB is your name Scott? (not Scott M, BTW) It's the avatar.
I've never watched Swamp People, but my MIL wants me to.
I've watched a partial episode or two of Intervention and Hoarders. It makes me feel like I'm watching parts of Blue Velvet or The Dark Backward. Unnerving.
I like Pickers, Pawn Stars, Hardcore Pawn, How it's Made, Build it Bigger, Megastructures, Military Channel.
My name is not Scott.

Bert Gummer, like the guy who shot his thumb off in front of his two boys, or the others with 20k+ rounds of ammo. :-)

Old 02-23-2012, 02:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I try to curb my judgement of others, how many teeth they have, how much ammo, how they live, their income levels, their beliefs.

Why? Cause I've spent time with people who think anyone who owns a pickup truck is an uneducated moron. People that would think anyone that wasted their time with 40 year old, gas gussling, poor handling, poorly made domestic cars are just as bad as any kind of Swamp people. People that seriously can't see any difference between you and I, and some Swamp People.

So I just try to be careful ...cause I know everything I think of preppers, or horders or any form of person that behaves in an unusual fashion in this free country .....well there are plenty of people out there that think the same of me, cause I have a GTO, and a motorcycle or three, and a couple of tractors and live up in the hills.

I hope to support everyone's freedom .... cause one days it's the guns, next day it's the gasoline cars, or the fatty food, or the salt, or the breath we exhale, or the brush we want to burn, or the cookout we want to have, or the doctor we want to choose .... we support everyone's freedom or we support none at all, you can't pick and choose what freedoms we should protect.

Those swampers will probably die out on the water, working their ass off, paying their taxes, and never taking a dime from the government. That's fine with me, probably better than dying in a lazyboy with a remote in your hand, collecting your SS.

I learned a long time ago, for every one person I think is an idiot, there are probably ten that think I am, and are just too polite to say so.
JohnnyB

Old 02-23-2012, 03:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
I try to curb my judgement of others, how many teeth they have, how much ammo, how they live, their income levels, their beliefs.

Why? Cause I've spent time with people who think anyone who owns a pickup truck is an uneducated moron. People that would think anyone that wasted their time with 40 year old, gas gussling, poor handling, poorly made domestic cars are just as bad as any kind of Swamp people. People that seriously can't see any difference between you and I, and some Swamp People.

So I just try to be careful ...cause I know everything I think of preppers, or horders or any form of person that behaves in an unusual fashion in this free country .....well there are plenty of people out there that think the same of me, cause I have a GTO, and a motorcycle or three, and a couple of tractors and live up in the hills.

I hope to support everyone's freedom .... cause one days it's the guns, next day it's the gasoline cars, or the fatty food, or the salt, or the breath we exhale, or the brush we want to burn, or the cookout we want to have, or the doctor we want to choose .... we support everyone's freedom or we support none at all, you can't pick and choose what freedoms we should protect.

Those swampers will probably die out on the water, working their ass off, paying their taxes, and never taking a dime from the government. That's fine with me, probably better than dying in a lazyboy with a remote in your hand, collecting your SS.

I learned a long time ago, for every one person I think is an idiot, there are probably ten that think I am, and are just too polite to say so.
JohnnyB
Like I said in my opening post. Do you think some of these people have issues that need to be addressed?
One man is a Vietnam vet who is obviously scarred, and another is a first responder from 9-11 that is living in fear of a super volcano erupting in Yellowstone.
Don't you think some of these people would live more fulfilling lives without the constant worry that they have. Some expressed obsessively worrying 12 to 15 hours a day about their fears.

Being prepared or over prepared for an emergency situation is by no means a bad thing, but some of these people seem to be crippling themselves in the process.

I don't think any freedoms should be taken from these people. The fact that you can have all the guns and ammo, and build a bunker if you want is part of living in America. It does not however mean we can't question some of the reasons they do them, and at times laugh at them.
I'm sure there are plenty of people who laugh at us building 20k plus engines...etc. But to each their own.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dillon View Post
"Swamp People" is the worst. It's mesmerizing in its awfulness.

This week's plot: (same as last week's plot) three rednecks, who speak no known language, and with 4 viable teeth between them, carelessly handle firearms while torturing hapless reptiles.
Don't be so judgemental. Plus, gators are good eatin' and make great wallets and boots, LOL