Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 05-14-2024, 06:31 PM

Default '63 Bonneville convert - thoughts on sway bars

My '63 has new springs (standard duty, non-AC), KYB gas shocks, Diamondback radials, and her original (anemic, by today's standards) sway bar. The ride is excellent, but feels even lazier in turns than I recall.

I know she'll never handle like my '06 STS-V, but that's not my goal. I'd like to not get that lump in my throat when driving around curves, feeling the body roll, and having to brake hard (usually late) to keep control. I don't drive her hard, either.

I suspect that the original sway bar is tired and not even performing as it did originally. That said, I'm wondering what is available on par with the original heavy duty bar or at least close to factory-looking which will get me closer to my goal for this heavy car.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

TIA

'63 Bonneville Convertible
'56 Safari
'82 Firebird SE
Old 05-14-2024, 09:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Coil rears with trailing arms are just a bolt in. Available in the aftermarket.
Aftermarket fronts are available buy you need to loosen one lower control arm to install.
You may enjoy a variable rate steering box while you are in there.

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 05-14-2024, 11:11 PM

Thanks.

All I'm looking to do is replace my stock (old) sway bar with one which has a bit more thickness to it. Stock appearance is really a must for me, so fancy stuff is not really an option.

I didn't realize how hard it was to find slightly oversized but stock "looking" stabilizers. PMT Fabrication has one which looks like a possibility, and OPGI has one which is 7/8" (I believe stock was 3/4" - which is really rather funny for such a big car) and supposedly stock in appearance.

'63 Bonneville Convertible
'56 Safari
'82 Firebird SE