Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 09-01-2019, 09:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Hyd flat tappet issue?

I have two sets of Lunati micro-trol lifters. Tech line says they have .230 travel, so roughly a quarter inch. I have one lifter that doesn't move, hence the phone call to tech and the second box of lifters. Also in the first box was a second lifter that would only plunge half of its travel, another reason for the new box. Now in the new box I have two that only move half of their travel. I took the remaining 28 and put them back in the oil bath that they've been soaking in since this project started a week ago. I plunged all of them a good 8-10 times(again) and then filled the top cavity with oil. I noticed that within five minutes five lifters head drained the oil from the top. Another five minutes another couple were drained. So as each one drained I put it in the scrap box until I had 16 left. The slowest draining ones. I plunged them all and filled the top cavity with oil and the next morning 8 had oil and 8 didnt.
My thinking is that they should all act the same. Or at least somewhat close, not 5 minutes for one and 10 hrs for another

Also I was also amazed at the 'dirt' that came out of them. Clean container and new oil so there's no doubt where the particles came from.

Has anyone had good luck with these? Or similar issues?

Kevin

Old 09-02-2019, 06:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If your not willing to fully take them apart to just clean them out and then take some micrometer measure measurements to check for machining tolerances then I would move on to a different make of lifter while getting a full refund from Isky, a refund that includes your shipping charges to boot!

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!