The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 11-21-2018, 10:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default door to fender gap welding

72 Firebird. have learned -and seen- restored cars and originals of these models had mismatched large gaps from the factory. mine are as such but since i'm knee deep in it I want to go ahead and achieve a nicer gap fitment.

Question: Is welding on various diameter wire the way to do this?

Old 11-21-2018, 10:57 AM
Suspended

Align the door gaps to the quarters, then align the fenders to the doors. Should not be a gap issue. The only time I ever had to add to a door was on a '65 Studebaker I chopped that someone else started and did not brace the door openings before cutting the undercarriage out of it. The body spread at the door openings and there was not enough adjustment in a Stude to compensate. So it was either spending days reconstructing the hinge pillar or add a little bit of metal to the trailing edge of the doors.

Old 11-21-2018, 11:00 AM
Suspended

You could do that with tig or just add to the edge with mig and then either way grind or file the added metal down to create perfect gaps. A lot of work.

Old 11-21-2018, 11:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDGE3 View Post
72 Firebird. have learned -and seen- restored cars and originals of these models had mismatched large gaps from the factory. mine are as such but since i'm knee deep in it I want to go ahead and achieve a nicer gap fitment.

Question: Is welding on various diameter wire the way to do this?
We typically add material if the contour of the fender doesn't match the leading edge of the door (ie, if the gap is not consistent top to bottom and can't be improved by moving the fender as a whole). In that case we add welding rod and grind it back.

But - normally - you would fit the rear of the door to the body, and then set the fender to the leading edge of the door.

In the assembly plant we had small magnets that set on the door and inserted a 1/4" spacer into the gap, to set the fender placement.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 11-21-2018, 08:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

thank you for the info, one thing you all straightened me out on is to set the gap and the quarters, the adjust the front. Iv'e been adjusting to both. frustrating.

the gaps are standard stuff for the firebird but I see the restorations and all the gaps are fine tuned and I like that.

I do want to improve on them.

I re-skinned the doors, and am using reproduction fenders, so some gap adjusting is desired. I see the overhaulin show and they always adjust to perfect gaps. love that. before I get body slammed, I get that there the big time pros! I can't hope to match that, just a little hopefully.

Last edited by JUDGE3; 11-21-2018 at 09:16 PM.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:56 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDGE3 View Post
I see the overhaulin show and they always adjust to perfect gaps. love that.
Do you see about 30 top notch car builders with Foose looking over their shoulders too? What you do not see is all the editing being done to make everybody and the car look good and easy.

Old 11-22-2018, 02:10 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I watched the overhauling guys do a build at SEMA.They mudded the whole door and 1/4 then cut a perfect line with a grinder. No metal work needed if you use enough plastic.

Old 11-22-2018, 09:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via ICQ to Tim66
Default dr to fender

When your setting qtr gap you must also set the bottom of the dr gap to rocker panel.
Tim

Old 11-23-2018, 06:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
We typically add material if the contour of the fender doesn't match the leading edge of the door (ie, if the gap is not consistent top to bottom and can't be improved by moving the fender as a whole). In that case we add welding rod and grind it back.

In the assembly plant we had small magnets that set on the door and inserted a 1/4" spacer into the gap, to set the fender placement.

K
1/4" and welding rod it is. fine tuning the gaps seems a must do to me going to all the effort of a restore. thanks!