THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:00 PM

Default Travel to Dayton/Cincinnati-Pontiac Stuff to see?

May have a day to sightsee in subject area this week. Summit’s big store is opposite side of state. DCI is also in Ohio but not too close. Any Pontiac focused shops or cool automotive things to see?

68 Mustang FB-Green/Black (Bullitt)
Old 12-03-2018, 10:45 PM
Suspended

Snow?

Old 12-03-2018, 11:01 PM
Senior Chief

Not much automotive unless you want to look at the abandoned plants . How ever , the Airforce museum at Wright Pattersson Airforce hase in Dayton is the finest collection of military aircraft anywhere and is mostly all indoor exhibits . it’s really impressive and I believe still free . https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/

Old 12-04-2018, 12:27 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by locomotivebreath View Post
Not much automotive unless you want to look at the abandoned plants . How ever , the Airforce museum at Wright Pattersson Airforce hase in Dayton is the finest collection of military aircraft anywhere and is mostly all indoor exhibits . it’s really impressive and I believe still free . https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/
X2! Anything manufactured by Pontiac pales in comparison to the XB-70. Sorry...

Old 12-04-2018, 08:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Not Pontiac, but starts with a "P". In the heart of downtown Dayton is the Packard museum. It is housed in an original Packard dealership and has an impressive display of the brand. Not sure of hours or cost to see. There are some old geezers in the museum who really know those cars and will show you around and teach you stuff. Couple of other things to pick up in a local grocery while in the area: Get a bag of MikeSells potato chips, the best chips in the world, period. Also, pick-up a box of Ester Price candy, also among the best anywhere. These items are shipped nationwide to folks not living in the area. Other than that and the Air Force museum, Dayton at least is a typical rust belt city.

Last edited by mgarblik; 12-04-2018 at 08:47 AM.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:32 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Don't forget to check out Clifton Mill East of Dayton. They won the ABC Christmas lights competition last night.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:41 AM
Senior Chief

Welcome to the heroin capital of the United States, please enjoy your stay.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
Old 12-04-2018, 10:18 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

There is also a donut shop there that is supposed to be pretty amazing.

Second on the Air Force Museum- well worth the time.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:24 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Anonymous View Post
Welcome to the heroin capital of the United States, please enjoy your stay.
LMFAO!!!!!!!!! Now there is something even I never knew.

Old 12-04-2018, 11:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

PRI Tradeshow in Indy Thursday thru Saturday. About a 2 hour drive from Dayton/Cincy area. Bring a business card...not open to the general public.

Also in Indy...the Indianapolis Speedway Museum.
https://indyracingmuseum.org/plan-your-visit/

Carillon Park in Dayton has many exhibits of Dayton history, including a Wright Bros airplane and displays of Dayton's heritage in the transportation industry.
https://www.daytonhistory.org/park-map/

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 12-04-2018, 12:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I’ve got a couple barns full of Pontiacs in Dayton.... if I was going to be there I’d show you.

Old 12-04-2018, 12:57 PM

Restoration World in Dayton carries aftermarket GM stuff, they have some Pontiac parts. There is a guy that works there that polishes trim pieces on the side. He did the polishing on my car and it looked brand new.
Restoration World
6232 Executive Blvd · Huber Heights

Old 12-04-2018, 07:31 PM

Thanks for the info gents! Sounds like AF Museum is better than one near Eglin AFB and that one was good. I’ll pass on the heroine, thanks. Donuts-good. Packard Museum sounds good too. Christmas lights also good. Too bad on timing, 65GP, I’d be up for checking out the collection! I’m here for Arrrrmy Training Sir, so may be back in the future.

68 Mustang FB-Green/Black (Bullitt)
Old 12-04-2018, 08:09 PM
Senior Chief

The museum has a B36 peacemaker , the largest bomber ever built . It makes their B52 look dinky and both are housed indoors ! They recently completed the restoration on the Memphis Belle I’m pretty sure and it’s on display . I havnt been there in several years myself , I think it’s time to drive up the more I think about it .

Old 12-04-2018, 08:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On a different note. I really enjoy good pizza. Not the chains like Pizza Hut. Dayton has a family owned pizza place with 5 or 6 locations. It’s called Marion’s. It’s a thin crust New York style pizza. Having grown up in Dayton, Marions was always a treat. I still get it whenever I can on visits back home. My personal favorite is the ‘deluxe’. If you get a chance and enjoy pizza I highly recommend it! Good luck on your trip and training.

Old 12-04-2018, 08:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I prefer Cassano's Pizza King when I go to Dayton. I like thin crust. Also you might try S&S Meat House on East 3rd for barbeque cooked with mesquite.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Funny thing is Vic Cassano and old man Marion started out in business together in the 1950’s. Both good pizza’s.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Another vote for Cassanos pizza in Dayton and Skyline Chili for a unique Cincinnati chili (also in Dayton).

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 12-04-2018, 11:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I always try Skyline thinking I will like it and every time it fails me. Something about cinnamon flavored chili I can’t get into. I get it almost every trip to the CVG airport trying to sell myself on it

Old 12-05-2018, 12:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The Air Force Museum is awesum and that would be my local choice. You may need more time there than you think. Was there in May for the Memphis Belle exhibit opening. Another aviation choice would be the Champaign Air Museum in Urbana. My Pontiac shop pick would be Kauffman Racing in Glenmont. Probably an hour closer than DCI. Have a safe trip. Jim