Old 10-13-2017, 08:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default ram air foam seal

I bought a foam seal about 6 years ago for my '65 GTO ram air pan. I use it only for static display. It is never subjected to under hood temps, and the hood has never been closed on it. It is stored in a sealed plastic bag in a climate controlled room when not in use. Even so, I find it is now disintegrating. The core seems to be a grey, dense foam that appears to be holding up okay, but there is a "crust" about 1/16 inch thick of some black, more porous material applied to the core. This "crust" is now breaking down and flaking off the core. Every time I touch it, more of it flakes off. I don't understand why this seal isn't made of a solid black foam material that would preclude the need for this "crust". Is this issue common to ram air foam seals for later years? Do those of you who have a seal for '65 or '66 have the same issue?

Old 10-13-2017, 10:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The "original" tri power foams did exactly the same thing. I always figured it happened because of the oil type liquid in the sealed bags they were sold in. How were the ram air foams packaged when new?? "Bill"!

Old 10-13-2017, 11:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not sure about 65 but 66 foam had a skin over it that was bonded to the ram air pan.

Old 10-14-2017, 10:36 AM
Boost Engineer

I have 3 1966 Foam Seals (from the early Ram Air Tray repop days.
Never have been in bags and look like new today with no issues whatever.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I haven't had a reproduction seal last more than 4 years, and that is with minimal driving.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default ram air foam seal

Before spending about $50 for another seal I decided to see if I could refurbish mine. I used a stiff nylon brush to gently remove the remaining black crust. Once that was done, I used a soft used toothbrush to gently go over the surfaces of the grey foam core to give it a smooth uniform surface. I then gave the seal 2-3 light coats of SEM satin black vinyl dye. Looks fine to me. Will see how long this lasts.