THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Windows 8.1 - Have You Made The Move?

Ok, who's made the move to it, and what do you think about it?

I installed the 64bit version Saturday and played with it for a while over the weekend. Hard to get around in it initially as there's a pretty good learning curve to it. Once I found out how to do a few things I like it. Tho not as much as our old venerable XP. Me thinks it's time to head to the bookstore and get a copy of "Windows 8.1 for Dummies" for safe measure.

What was nice was it does updates and installs them automatically. It did the software for my graphics card, Windows Defender (MSE), the firmware for my 3 year old motherboard that you can't buy anymore, and my keyboard and mouse. The bottle neck doing the compatability check was the motherboard. I figured I had to buy a new one but it looks like I'm safe. All I need is more DDR3 RAM to get up to at least 8GB for 64bit.

And I got it on sale thru PriceWatch.com for 96.87 with free shipping with a 30 day money back guarrantee.

http://www.pricewatch.com/search?q=W...w&discounted=2

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

01/20/14 - GeekWire - A visit to HP’s website this morning will feel like a time warp … or maybe a welcome return home.

In a move that will cause headaches at Microsoft, the computer maker is running a special promotion for $150 off new Windows 7 PCs, touting the operating system as “Back by popular demand.” The company is still offering Windows 8 on new computers, particularly for tablets and laptops, but the first products shown when browsing for desktops on HP’s site are Windows 7 machines.

The situation is a reminder of previous comparisons of Windows 8 to “New Coke,” the infamous soda remake that sparked a consumer backlash and a return to the classic formula. In Microsoft’s case, the radical changes in Windows 8 require some adjustment for longtime Windows users, particularly on the desktop, although the company has been rolling back some of those changes with the return of the Start button and the ability to boot directly to the desktop in Windows 8.1.

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeNoun For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2014, 06:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, this is interesting. Windows 9 is possibly relaunch of XP with modern features. Now that sounds great.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Best-...s-417329.shtml

I can tell one more thing that's good about 8.1. It loads faster than XP ever has.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 01-20-2014, 06:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Is the price tag on 8.1 a one time fee?

I've got a 6-7 year old laptop that was 'scrubbed' in 2010. It runs XP and my only issues have been (occasional) slow loading pages and 'sticky' streaming of some video.
I wonderf if it's worth it to buy the Windows 8.1 upgrade or should I just get whatever the best medium grade new laptop I can find.

I'd do the later and not worry about it if I was drawing a paycheck. But I'm kind of limited on funds right now.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:50 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Well, this is interesting. Windows 9 is possibly relaunch of XP with modern features. Now that sounds great.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Best-...s-417329.shtml
Just what I've been waiting for, and another 1.5 years of wait is worth it! I still use XP SP3 and I love it! I don't want the 7's and 8's, or 8.1's, I want the 9!!!!! I can't wait! Now I know which operating system I'm going to, and it's the 9! I love XP!

Old 01-20-2014, 08:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightfoot View Post
Is the price tag on 8.1 a one time fee?

I've got a 6-7 year old laptop that was 'scrubbed' in 2010. It runs XP and my only issues have been (occasional) slow loading pages and 'sticky' streaming of some video.
I wonderf if it's worth it to buy the Windows 8.1 upgrade or should I just get whatever the best medium grade new laptop I can find.

I'd do the later and not worry about it if I was drawing a paycheck. But I'm kind of limited on funds right now.
The 8.1 upgrade, as far as I know, is free to download and install if you already have 8. And OEM 8.1 is a one time activation fee. And there's already an upgrade out for OEM 8.1.

Don't feel bad Lightfoot. Funds are limited for many of us.

It'll probably be a year or two before 9 hits the streets. But I want 9 too IF it's going to be an improved upgrade for XP.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 01-20-2014, 08:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had seen the news Mike posted about HP. My son is into IT and for the past year many of his business customers have been ordering new computers with Windows 7. I'm thinking of dumping my 8 and going with the 7. Looks like I won't be alone.
I do know 8.1 will not be an option.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a desktop running XP and a laptop with 7 and I can't tell any difference.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Running 7 till 9 comes out!
"Threshold" to be Called Windows 9, Ship in April 2015
http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/th...hip-april-2015
BTW; if you run windows 8 try http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/
It returns the standard menu in Windows 8.
I usually end up installing on most all of the puters I install 8 on.
It's free for 30 days $5.00 to buy,works very nicely. With it Windows 8 is much easier to deal with..

Old 01-20-2014, 10:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am in IT and Microsoft certified and I have been running windows 8 since it came out and also upgraded to 8.1. I tell all my clients who ask about purchasing a new computer to stay away from windows 8 and purchase a computer with windows 7. I have no problems getting around 8 but it was quite the learning curve in the beginning and I still don't like it.

I have all the systems running from windows 98 up through windows 8.1 and I must say that I like windows 7 the best with XP being a very close second.

For my clients that have to get a new computer because XP support will be going away come April 2014, I tell them go to 7 because there is very little to no learning curve depending on how you use your computer.

I will get 9 when it comes out but I never recommend new operating systems to my clients until microsoft gets all the bugs out. They are just in too much of a hurry to get their product on the market to make money and we become the free test bed for them. I tell my client to wait till after the service pack comes out or at least a few months until some of the major bugs are caught and taken care of.

Mark

1965 GTO: 467 (Built By Dan Willever), 400 Block, Eagle 4.25 Stroke, Eagle 6.8 Rods, BRC Pistons, Custom Grind Hydraulic Roller Cam, Edelbrock 72cc Heads Ported, HS Rockers, Doug's Headers, Edelbrock Victor 4150, QTF 850 Carb, TCI Flex plate, AutoGear M22 4 Speed, SPEC Clutch and Pressure Plate, 12 Bolt 3:73 Posi.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 65gto69 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2014, 10:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Unless you "have" to, why change/upgrade your OS if all is running OK?

I think the adage of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" was coined specifically for MS products.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been playing with 8.1 tonight and now that I can navigate around in it I really like it. No problems installing software like I've heard happens with 7. Hey, I'm no computer genius but 8.1 is pretty user friendly and stable.... so far.

I can send this back within 30 days for a full refund, but So far I like what I see and I'm going to keep it. Now if support would be continued for XP until 9 comes out, I'd be staying with it and sending 8.1 back where I got it from.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 01-20-2014, 11:33 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor-daddy View Post
Just what I've been waiting for, and another 1.5 years of wait is worth it! I still use XP SP3 and I love it! I don't want the 7's and 8's, or 8.1's, I want the 9!!!!! I can't wait! Now I know which operating system I'm going to, and it's the 9! I love XP!
Amen and x2!

That make sense as Drs office & Medical Equip, et al, now using XP Based to transition to 9.

My WAG is that current XP will contine a "miraculous" continuation and support way past the current April "death date" as has been the case due to customer/end user demands for support in the past.

If not no big deal. I'd be willing to bet the launch of 9 is "fast tracked" like previous Win OS to replace such hits as "Vista" etc. personally, I'd not purchase a new device TODAY loaded with 7, as I've experienced in the past the device is almost immediately out of date OS wise.
Ex: 7 to new 9

Old 01-21-2014, 12:10 AM

Have had 8 for about 3 weeks, on a laptop, not liking it much at all. Took hours to get it setup esp had problems with printer/fax/scanner drivers. IMO its made for touch screen use, just a pain to move around and find things. Have XP and 7 on desktops, out of all of the I like XP with 7 right behind it.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Windows XP holdouts: 3 reasons you must upgrade now. Yes, now.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/20683...-yes-now-.html
Funny most ATM's run windows XP still.lol
Let the discounts begin.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Exclamation ..........

Quote:
And it may not be all that gradual. Malware authors love to use outdated software as a path into your PC--and the more people there are using an outdated program, the more they love it. Besides, an outdated operating system makes a more tempting target than an out-of-date .pdf reader. A year from now, it will be hard to pick a more tempting target than Windows XP.

Long-time readers might accuse me of inconsistency. I covered this subject back in 2011, and gave very different advice, suggesting that an upgrade was a good idea but not an absolute must. "After 12 years, there may be little left in XP to patch. Besides, malware written in 2014 probably won't be designed to exploit an old and outdated OS."

I was wrong. It looks like a great many people will still be using XP next year and beyond, making it all the more dangerous.

Now that I'm telling you not to stick with XP, what should you do? Here are some suggestions:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/20436...ndows-xp-.html

You could buy a new PC. That will certainly solve the problem, and your new computer would almost certainly be better than your current one. Unfortunately, this is the expensive choice.

Or, for considerably less money, you might be able to upgrade from XP to Windows 8 (or to Windows 7 if you can find a copy). I say "might"because your hardware may not support a newer operating system. To find out, download and run the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant. This will tell you what you'll need to change before the transition.

Click for full image
Finally, you can switch to Linux, which won't cost you a thing. You can try Ubuntu Linux--the most popular variation and the one I recommend as a Windows replacement--before you make the decision to give up Windows. It installs like a Windows application, giving you a dual-boot system where you can choose either operating system.

For more on that option, see The Ubuntu guide for displaced Windows users

Old 01-21-2014, 09:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65gto69 View Post
I am in IT and Microsoft certified and I have been running windows 8 since it came out and also upgraded to 8.1. I tell all my clients who ask about purchasing a new computer to stay away from windows 8 and purchase a computer with windows 7. I have no problems getting around 8 but it was quite the learning curve in the beginning and I still don't like it.

I have all the systems running from windows 98 up through windows 8.1 and I must say that I like windows 7 the best with XP being a very close second.

For my clients that have to get a new computer because XP support will be going away come April 2014, I tell them go to 7 because there is very little to no learning curve depending on how you use your computer.

I will get 9 when it comes out but I never recommend new operating systems to my clients until microsoft gets all the bugs out. They are just in too much of a hurry to get their product on the market to make money and we become the free test bed for them. I tell my client to wait till after the service pack comes out or at least a few months until some of the major bugs are caught and taken care of.

Mark
Mark. I have ran into some web sites that say MS will support the malware upgrades until April 2015. That would coincide with the 2015 Windows 9??
Of course i'm definitely no IT guy. And I have XP SP3 wondering whats next??!!
Troy

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 01-21-2014, 12:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Giddy, if you're running 8 do the upgrade to 8.1. It's free for those running 8. The only thing I don't like is that your Documents are saved to the Cloud. When you first install you can change that and have a User/(My?)Documents folder. I'm trying to change to that now.

I played around with 8.1 all lastnight. I really like it now. And the more I run it the more I like it. Loads fast and the learning curve isn't all that bad. I installed programs that ran on XP and they are also running on 8.1. So IMHO it's not as bad as some are crying about it. If I can run it with no problems anyone can..... I'm not a computer guru like some are. Well most all are compared to me.

These are just my worth of thoughts. Run what you like. I'm just telling what I've found out about 8.1. It's not as bad as you think or have been told.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 01-21-2014, 01:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Windows XP Pro here at the office. Thinking about finding a Windows 7 computer to "upgrade" to since Columbus brought this one over with him.
Mac at home.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:20 PM
Suspended

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
Windows XP Pro here at the office. Thinking about finding a Windows 7 computer to "upgrade" to since Columbus brought this one over with him.
Mac at home.