Old 12-07-2013, 01:35 AM
Senior Chief

Default '70 Atoll Blue and Stripe Colors

OK, I'm looking at my '70 Judge (build sheet lists it as a 28/10 two tone.) The front door jambs (by the hinges) and the bottom of the trunk lid have not been repainted during the two paint jobs my car has seen.

I know for a fact (because my dad painted it last) in 1984 my car was painted in DuPont Lucite lacquer that is supposed to have been mixed by code for the car. The car was clear coated and has been garage stored since, so I don't believe the paint has faded to much. This blue matches the door jambs and trunk that have not been painted. However, the blue that my car is painted does not look like any other Atoll Blue cars I have ever seen. This color looks more like a darker Lucerne blue, it is not as dark or as green as all the Atoll blue cars I've seen done. As I understand Atoll blue is described as a darker greenish blue with some violet tones. The blue on my car has very little green and no violet tones. It is a much more clean crisp blue metallic and I do much prefer it to what I've been accustomed to for Atoll blue.

What I'm trying to find out is, has the color formula been altered so much since the introduction of urethanes that it just isn't a true representation anymore? I really don't believe that my dad had the wrong color mixed when he painted it, because it matches the factory paint that is still on the car in some places. But I have had Atoll Blue mixed in both PPG's DBU and DBC lines, DuPont's basecoat line, and Lessonal's basecoat line; and get this, none of those match each other either and none match my Lucite color.

I'm at a loss as to what is right and what is wrong. When it comes time I'll probably have a picture taken with the paint mixers camera and have them mix it to the Lucite color on my car, because I do much prefer the color to other Atoll Blues I've seen.

On another note, my Judge hasn't had the stripes on it since at least 1976. However, there is still a remnant of the original stripe on the drivers side leading door jamb. It is yellow/red/blue. Is there any way to document a special order stripe color? It's a Baltimore built car. I'm wondering if being a two tone car maybe you had a choice? As I understand it the yellow/red/blue stripes usually came on white Judges?

Any input on these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Nate

1970 "Real" Judge RAIII 4-speed, Atoll Blue w/painted white top. Mild RAIV headed 400 motor in now.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Atoll Blue is one of those colors that looks different in light and other factors. It has that ability to look dark and light at times. Hard to describe. The Judge stripes do change things too.

Mine does it under different conditions.

Other look different with stripes and white tops.

Not same car...

On the stripes: Pink is the one unless it can be proven not to be. But it looks awesome on Atoll Judges. IMHO

BTW: Never heard Atoll being a darker version of Lucy Blue?