Old 11-07-2011, 12:29 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default trans crossmember to frame question

On the trans crossmember, on the driver's side it is bolted to a couple of the several holes on the outer edge. Which is as expected.

The passenger side however is bolted to two holes that are on the inside edge of the frame, not the outer holes like the driver's side. The crossmember is too short to reach those.

Is this right, or is it a kludge job by a po?

Pictures aren't the best, sorry.

Thanks,
Russ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lemans6nov2011 018.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	262683   Click image for larger version

Name:	lemans6nov2011 027.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	262684  

Old 11-07-2011, 05:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like a PO job to me, is there any signs of that the crossmember has been cut on one side due to rust ?

Just compare the lenght of the flange on both sides where the crossmember goes in to the rubber mounting.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

x2
More than likely the ends of the cross member that set in the rubber insulator had rusted away making it too short now.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

kludge job by a po........how about a translation....i worked in Ohio for years and never heard this slang...

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 11-07-2011, 10:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
kludge definition
jargon/kluhj/ (From the old Scots "kludgie" meaning an outside toilet) A Scottish engineering term for anything added in an ad hoc (and possibly unhygenic!) manner. At some point during the Second World War, Scottish engineers met Americans and the meaning, spelling and pronunciation of kludge became confused with that of "kluge". The spelling "kludge" was apparently popularised by the "Datamation" cited below which defined it as "An ill-assorted collection of poorly matching parts, forming a distressing whole." The result of this tangled history is a mess; in 1993, many (perhaps even most) hackers pronounce the word /klooj/ but spell it "kludge" (compare the pronunciation drift of mung). Some observers consider this appropriate in view of its meaning. ["How to Design a Kludge", Jackson Granholme, Datamation, February 1962, pp. 30-31]. [Jargon File] (1998-12-09)
That's what I found.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

po is previous owner, also. But I figure you already knew that. :-)

Thanks. Haven't taken it off yet. Might be a good thing I was planning on swapping a 700R4 in this anyway. If I have to buy another crossmember it might as well be fun.

Russ

Old 11-07-2011, 08:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i thought it wsa previous owner but not sure..

I have 3 or 4 crossmembers with the brkts and isolators....

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."