Old 02-05-2010, 10:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Radio removal on 69 GTO..

Need to pull it for a rebuild and so far the eight track removal was real easy, 5 minutes. The rest looks a little tough and the shop manual was so-so as far as guidance. Any good advice here? What I did do so far was to remove the glove box and thats a help. Thank you.

67 Bonneville 428 convertible one of one Verdoro green w/parchment, documented GM brass hat parade car with every option for 67, non running MAJOR future project.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mark, unless you have A/C, it should take 5 mins...Unplug antenna and power/speaker plug from behind radio.
Remove volume/tuning knobs as well as tone/select adjustment buttons by pulling on them. Then, you will have 2 hex nuts inside there, where knobs were (may be a bit hard to reach, so use deep socket, I think it was 7/16). There may/may not be the bracket holding side of radio (on right hand) to heater, as they sometimes get tossed out. It will be held by a hex screw to side of radio. Just remove that one (leaving the other one that attaches bracket to heater). Hold radio whil doing this as it may fall backwards.

That's it...With A/C it may be a bit tougher...I don't even remove glovebox to do it (I don't have A/C).

Old 02-05-2010, 06:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mine is an A/C car. I had to take mine out the glove box.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:28 PM
Senior Chief

I have done it without removing the glovebox, but had to pull the AC lap vents.
So many things, changing a lighter, getting to bulbs, etc. I think I remove the duct like every other month.

"Yes, it's a real GTO. I know the scoops, spoiler, exhaust tips, and rear wheels are wrong. Umm, sure it's the 'big block' 400, you are quite the expert. I am driving in the rain, at night, running errands, with the kids who are eating and having ice cream in the back, after going to the drag strip, burning rubber, and blowing donuts. Do you really think it's numbers matching all original?"
Old 02-05-2010, 09:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks guys. Yes, I have a/c so I figured the lap vent section under the dash has to be dropped. Is the chrome/wood dash bezel peice hard to remove once the lap vent a/c parts are taken down? I dont want to break that piece.

67 Bonneville 428 convertible one of one Verdoro green w/parchment, documented GM brass hat parade car with every option for 67, non running MAJOR future project.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:56 PM
Senior Chief

support the radio, and unbolt it from under the dash, and pull the cable connector.

then pull the knobs and the tone/select bezels. You will then pull the radio out the back.

I have the AM pushbutton radio. when unbolted and the knobs off, it pulls straight out the back.

I had no need for messing with the chrome bezel/wood paneling.

"Yes, it's a real GTO. I know the scoops, spoiler, exhaust tips, and rear wheels are wrong. Umm, sure it's the 'big block' 400, you are quite the expert. I am driving in the rain, at night, running errands, with the kids who are eating and having ice cream in the back, after going to the drag strip, burning rubber, and blowing donuts. Do you really think it's numbers matching all original?"
Old 02-06-2010, 11:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Simiele View Post
Thanks guys. Yes, I have a/c so I figured the lap vent section under the dash has to be dropped. Is the chrome/wood dash bezel peice hard to remove once the lap vent a/c parts are taken down? I dont want to break that piece.
No need to remove the wood dash insert as radio fits thru it...

Old 02-06-2010, 12:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank you guys doesn't sound that bad at all.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It's not bad at all. The underdash A/C duct I believe is held in with a couple of screws.