Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 07-20-2009, 02:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Securing My Rig

All,
Hopefully not too may of you will break my ba!!s on this one. But hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Especially knowledge... Right... Plus, I'm too old to care anymore..

I'll be at Norwalk again this year, however, I'll be staying at a hotel on Sunday night and, driving home Monday morning.
My trailer is a normal open trailer with two ramps to load the car. Tahoe is my tow vehicle.
What do you guys do in this situation so that, your rig is still there in the morning???

Thanks for any help and yes,, I'm okay with the smart ass remarks too....

`joe

Old 07-20-2009, 02:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Couple of things I do when travelilng. I purchased one of those steel cable wrapped in plastic locks and I run it thru the spokes in the wheels on the trailer. I also use a second one that goes around the frame of the car down to a tie off. I also have a lock that is used to lock the lever on the hitch...the lever that you have to lift up when putting the trailer on the ball and then release the lever to lock it on. When the trailer is parked and not attached to the tow vehicle I put on another lock that covers the hitch hole so you can't drop it down onto a ball. Then I pray and have my insurance companies phone number handy.

Thieves are lazy people. If you make it difficult to remove your tow rig and car they will go somewhere else. You might also consider a switch to turn your electric fuel pump on and off on your tow vehicle and if you have one on your car do the same.

Be sure to use good locks to secure your ramps.

Due to the current economic conditions...the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Meet you at the finish line.....don't be late!
Old 07-20-2009, 02:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Ron has some VERY good tips and ideas.

To add to that, an alarm on your car being towed also helps.
Also the prices of in car/trailer GPS tracking systems has come down to a very affordable level.

They have an alarm for enclosed trailers that covers the doors and shock, that will lock the trailer brakes and flash the lights, along with a siren. I don't see why you couldn't make one work on an open trailer, with a secure box and metal conduit. Sure they could bypass it, but not before the alarm went off.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You can also buy a locking hitch pin so they can't pull the ball and hitch from your tow vehicle.

If no alarm on the tow vehicle, pull the coil wire so it can't start.

Lock your ramps up so your car can't come off the trailer.

Many use the cable through the rims on the trailer.

The more things they see as "work", the less chance they will try it. As Ron said, most are lazy.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You have a justified concern...
Even though I have a enclosed trailer I still have fears of the WHOLE RIG being taken !! That seems to be the way it's done now. It's quick,easy and convienent. I used to put a car cover over car while parked overnight on open trailer. I don't have my enclosed trailer all lettered up either. At least it not obvious what the cargo/car is. Lock it down as others have said . I have asked hotel/motel if they have security cameras and try to park rig where it can be seen. I take extra steps to disable the tow vehicle. I have pulled the ECM fuse on some. I have even used the false stickers about being alarmed too..
A hidden GPS device would be cool. There are many cool devices out there now.
Enjoy Norwalk !!!

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 07-20-2009, 03:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

All good ideas. Back when I was hauling with an open trailer, I fed a chain thru the spokes of the trailer wheels with a big padlock. And my ramps were padlocked in their pocket.

I completely agree that a thief will find the easy pickings and leave you alone if you do a few things to make theft difficult.

FWIW:
Eric

Old 07-20-2009, 04:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One other thing I forgot to mention. The cable that I use to tie the two tailer tires together. I use a second one. I try to park one side of the trailer close to a building, a light pole, or something big. Close enough that it would take a very very skinny person to get between that object and the trailer. I then use a second cable and lock and try and fit my fat bunz between the trailer and that object, partially laying on the fender and feed the cable lock between those two wheels also. I know what you are all saying.....overkill....but like all of you I work hard for my money and I don't want some jerk stealing it. It takes some extra time but well worth the money and time....at least to me.

Due to the current economic conditions...the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Meet you at the finish line.....don't be late!
Old 07-21-2009, 08:13 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Guys,
Thanks for all the suggestions / recommendations.. Greatly Appreciated!!
A few of them, I already have been doing like, the hitch pin to the truck and ball use a lock.
I like the cable / chain ideas for the trailer and, possibly through the frame of the car.

Thanks again,

`joe

Old 07-21-2009, 06:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

And now for the smart ass answer. It's a Tahoe so, fold the seats down, throw out the air mattress and sleep with a Glock under your pillow. If that wont work do like 60man said. Pull the ecm fuse.

Sandy, UT
---------------------------------------------------
Old 07-21-2009, 07:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I like to park the trailer along the back of the parking lot with the rear abutting a curb if possible. Lot has to have good lighting.

That way - they can't back the trailer up or back anything off of it.

Also - check a few hotels/motels - decent hotels w/ good parking lots and lighting are prolly safer, although they may be a little more $$.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:15 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
And now for the smart ass answer. It's a Tahoe so, fold the seats down, throw out the air mattress and sleep with a Glock under your pillow. If that wont work do like 60man said. Pull the ecm fuse.

Thanks again for the input.
Anyone going to Norwalk??

joe

Old 07-22-2009, 09:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jal View Post
Well it's about time I got a quote like this... LOL... If I owned a 9mm or even a gun for that matter, I would probably take that suggestion. But that's also why I'm not in jail.....

Thanks again for the input.
Anyone going to Norwalk??

joe
Yes...I plan to be at Norwalk...Linder's Lot Thursday.
My truck is a diesel now. I have "my way" of disabling it other than yanking ECM fuse but won't air it on here...then it won't be a secret ..

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 07-22-2009, 06:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Try to park the back of the trailer against a wall or pole. Find someone at the Motel to park in front of your tow vehicle, that you can get ahold of, when you get ready to go to the track...
All of the above ideas are good!!!

Take a picture of a vile hand gun, and tape it to the inside of your windshield with a kind hearted remark on it, of some kind.....like...Do you know Jesus???

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 07-22-2009, 08:30 PM
Boost Engineer

I always thought that a Racing Type "Removable Steering Wheel" type Column in an older type tow vehicle (built without air bag) would slow down the "Honest" Thief or "Lazy" Thief. A Pro would have the proper tools to cut any cable (torch) and enough help to quickly get any rig moving. Course they would have to specifically be after your rig.

The thieves that broke through the wall of the Mopar Pro Stock guys shop knew what they were looking for and had customers already lined up for the parts.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.