Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-14-2009, 01:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Sending Heads out

Do most folks disassemble and check various components themselves before having head work done or just drop complete heads off at shop on a 'call me when they're done' basis?
Been a long, long time since I've gone into an engine...I'll have lots of dumb questions like this in the next few weeks.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just took a set of complete 6X heads to Butler Performance a couple weeks ago. I didn't disassemble anything...
Having them completely rebuild the heads.

"Turbos make no noise and leave the line like Baby Diarrhea!" - GTOGeorge
Old 04-14-2009, 02:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Greg, if you know what to look for than do it yourself, if not just drop off at the machine shop.

79 Trans AM 406 #12 heads Torker II intake Crower 60210 750 holley vac. sec. T400 3500 Stall 3:73:1 rear. ECMTTFMFers. IHTTFMFers.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Some shops will charge you if they have to tear 'em apart.

So at the minimum,ask the shop in question about that.

So I do the head disassembly myself,especially seeing as I rarely reuse OE valves as a general rule,99.9% of the time I see no need to take them in assembled regardless.

New valves always get the guides done for those pieces,so again I see little reason to keep the original stuff with the heads.

And I never reuse OE valvesprings,so those get tossed ASAP.

Though I'll keep the OE valves & such in a box with the valves all numbered where they came from,so were they to ask me about any of that stuff,I'll give them that box.

HTH

BP.

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to performerrpm

like said above, may as well take to a shop. it probaly would only save a small amount of money if any

Old 04-14-2009, 08:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the info. I've been doing enough brushing up on the subject to at least know now what questions to ask as far as their services and to ask for things I know I want done.
I always hate paying folks to do something where they know that I have absolutely no idea what needs to be done. I like for them to at least think I know enough to check behind them.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When I take my 670's to get them done they will be going complete. That way the machinist can see what was done previously and can set the heads up for the cam that will be used.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Greg, give Kyle a call if you need any motor work done.He just finished up my engine for my T/A.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by se428bandit View Post
Greg, give Kyle a call if you need any motor work done.He just finished up my engine for my T/A.
That's exactly what I was planning. I'm taking the heads to Dover in C.P.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I disassemble all my heads first, then take them to the machine shop for hot tanking, baking, and magging;and then bring them back home for the port and bowl work. After that they go back to the shop for the machine work. They come home bare and I assemble them.

I also permanently mark all parts that I drop off. It is unnecessary with my current shop, but I (and friends) have had bad experiences with shops over the years. Digital picture of those markings come in handy if there is a problem.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You are a wise man lust4speed. I've heard many horror stories about machine shops switching parts and then telling customers that's what came in, or the ones you sent in were cracked so we pitched them and replaced them with these.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up Cyl heads/ Pontiac Gregg

Send them to me. You'll get the finest work !! Have your friends check them out with the most accurate guages etc. they'll freak at the quality of the work. Never had a set come back !!

Pontiac Gregg
1-303-776-0877

Old 04-15-2009, 11:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Good advice everybody. I like your idea lust4speed but I'd probably do more damage than good trying to port with no one to show me the proper amount to remove.

I believe you OINK but I can't see sending a heavy set of cast iron heads to Colorado and back when I have a place right around the corner from my job that's been doing heads for over 50 years. I've heard good things about them from everyone I know.