Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 01-01-2008, 02:44 AM
Senior Chief

Default W72 400 Rebuild

I'm about to get my block redone. It's the first step in my build up. I'm collecting bottom end parts right now. I wanna keep it a 400. I got a 4-bolt cap set and a '68 crank. I need rods next.

First off what can the stuff I already got handle? RPM&HP. I want the bottom end really strong cause I love turbos. Any body got any knowledge? What aboult rod choices? Pauters are outta my price range, but Crowers or anything cheaper is game. I figure the build will take some time. So I wanna get as much info on the subject as possible.

Is the a post on forced induction Pontiacs here already?

Also I'm pretty much just startin, so its block,crank,and rod capibilities I'm after. I'll get to the induction/fuel later, but if you wanna throw that info my way too, it'd be greatly appreciated!

Old 01-01-2008, 03:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What is your current blocks casting number?

Without that info speculating on what the current block may handle will be real hard,as many late model pontiac 400's (mid '75 & up) came with thin web mains,the only way to know is from visual inspection and checking the casting numbers.

The '68 crank is probably nothing special,garden variety cast Nodular iron most likely.

You may wanna consider an aftermarket 3.75" forged crank if your after some serious boost numbers.

Lots of rod options in the aftermarket,and there has been plenty of discussion on the subject here already,a keyword search on "rods" should yeild tons of info/opinions.

Plenty of boost folks here too,and more than a few using a fair amount of stock hardware too,again a search will yeild mucho info.

Build the bottom end to handle the boost deal,then the rest can adapt to that scenario pretty easily,lots will depend on your budget and skill level,till folks here can flesh out that about you,it's kinda hard to tell you much beyond the basics.

HTH.

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.

Old 01-01-2008, 04:21 AM
Senior Chief

It's a WC code block. original to the '78 w72. I;d have to go out and get the casting numbers though. The cranks out of a '68 Bonniville 400.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a balanced .040" over 400 rotating assembly for sale in the parts section with low hours on it.....