Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-11-2005, 04:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Riddle me this Batman....

...What is the collective opinion on mini-starters? I bought one to put in my '67 bird w/ 400 to save room around the headers and weight in general. I mechanic recently read me chapter and verse on why they are not worth anything -even as scrap metal. I have not yet installed mine...it is a Summit branded item.

Old 08-11-2005, 08:27 AM

I bought a power master for mine and I like it so far but have only had it two weeks. The stock starter just could not turn over the engine once it was warmed up. Every time I stopped somewhere and shut the engine off when I returned to the car it would crank to slow. The power master fixed that problem. Only time will tell if it is durable but I literally could not use a stock starter. The one that was giving me problems was just purchased and still no good. Rebuilt starters just seem to have problems.

www.gentlemanjames.com
Old 08-11-2005, 08:39 AM
Senior Chief

Some folks just can't understnd new technology and will never embarce it. GM and Ford have used then for years, and you don't see the starter failures that you used to. I changed the one in my wifes 97 truck, 98K miles and mostly short trips. The only thing wrong was the contactors had worn, flipped them over and on for another 98K we go.

read this

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...er/index.shtml

Old 08-11-2005, 08:40 AM
On Vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowjoe
...What is the collective opinion on mini-starters? I bought one to put in my '67 bird w/ 400 to save room around the headers and weight in general. I mechanic recently read me chapter and verse on why they are not worth anything -even as scrap metal. I have not yet installed mine...it is a Summit branded item.

The starter on my 455 was getting stuck when hot- after checking the gear tooth interface to flexplate, it was too tight even with 3 shims ! I added another shim and now it spins fine, even with a 3 year old battery.

The stock starters need lots of shims- check your starter to flexplate drive gear clearance. Keep shimming it down until the engine spins.

If the timing is too far advanced, it will start hard.

also if battery cables and connections are old, it will have problems.

a stock starter with good cables, battery, and adequate gear clearance, should start any street motor with less than 10:1 CR

If you have a truly high CR motor 10.5-14:1, then I'd recommend the mini starter

Old 08-11-2005, 08:46 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I had hot start issues with my old stock starter. Once it was hot, becasue the headers wrap right around it, it wouldn't start the car. As well, once I bumped up the compression on the car, the stock starter was having more problems.

I put in a CVR mini satarter (CVR makes the Summit starters) and the poroblems were gone. No hot start issues and no problems turning over the motor.

Your mechanic is mistaken.

Old 08-11-2005, 09:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It's a no brainer if you're not looking for a stock look. Do it.

Old 08-11-2005, 09:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I love em. But will only use and recommend the Powermaster line. Have one in Karen's 8.5-1 455 and it spins it over faster then it idles. LOL.
Have the same Powermaster starter in my T/A for over 6 years.

There are a lot of imitations out there and give good quality mini's a bad rap. Just like rods and other items copied. You get what you pay for when it comes to mini's. They have ratings. To check clearance use a paper clip between the ends of the starter tooth and inside of the tooth ring gear. .025 is an estimate.

Old 08-11-2005, 09:55 AM
Senior Chief

I had a powermaster Model 9500 in a 502 Nova for over 6 years and never had a minutes problem out of it. If you not worried about it having the stock look then that's the way to go. I had hot start problems and slipping with the stock starter on that car until I changed to the Powermaster. 2 cents!!

Old 08-11-2005, 10:11 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I tried a stock "heavy duty" starter on my 455. Would barely start her. Got a Powermaster reduction unit from Kauffman, cranks over easily, even with alot more initial timing.

"If it ain't broke, modify somethin till it is"
Old 08-11-2005, 11:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink

i have an imi hi-torque mini starter...works really well and you can adjust them vertically and horizontally...saves weight, easy to install, good customer service...the only problem i had with one is when a rod passed through it and it bounced down the highway in pieces...thats right...a stock cast rod...lol...your mechanic is uninformed...does he hate headers and aluminum intakes too...?

Old 08-11-2005, 09:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The mechanic worked at the local carb shop...no, he was not opposed to headers and aluminum intakes ;-).

I was there one day when he was taking apart a car with amini starter and commented that I was going to use one...he then gave me his considered opinion, based upon his experience, that they were more trouble than they were worth. This made me rethink my plans to use one on my bird.

As I said, I was looking to gain space and save weight. I also got the impression from this board that they were a grand idea. I am not concerened with stock appearance (in this case). I just wanted to send out a feeler to check myself.

thanks for the input guys.

Old 08-12-2005, 07:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Unhappy

He probably was dealing with Cheap bast*rds, Bwhahahahaha, that will buy those Imitation mini's and they are JUNK. Think they are getting a Deal. Some won't eve crank a BB with any kind of performance application. I can see his point... to a point.
I have had customers bring their own stuff such as starters when I fire and break in their combo. Been there and done that. <Insert unhappy face here.> LOL.

You get what you pay for when it comes to starters.

Same deal with parts houses and what is really done on a rebuilt starter. They play the odds of how long your gonna keep the car.

Old 08-12-2005, 07:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought a McCleod a looooooooong time ago. Getting ready to FINALLY get the motor back in the car. What's the rep with these mini-starters ??

67 Firebird Convert 455 +.060 TH400 74cc KRE d-ports piston dished 16cc H-beam rods Comp Cam 305-AH-8 cam 108* LSA 253/260 @.050 duration .577/.594 lift w/1.65 rockers Ford 9" 3.50 Detroit Locker M/T Sportsman Radials 31x18x15 on Convo Pro 15x15s
Old 08-12-2005, 07:59 AM

Thumbs up works for me

I have the summit unit on my 68 gto - works like a charm - I start my car infrequently as I am not finished with it. Cranks for a long time before the gas gets back sometimes. No problems at all to date. 3 mos installed and in use. Couldn't say about hot start. Needed to shim it some. I like the look too. Good luck whatever you do.

Randy

Old 08-12-2005, 11:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It seems the consensus is that mini starters are worth it. I bought the Summit starter as it seemed _ on paper at least - like an equivilant starter for less money. I see two responses that indicate positive responses while there seem to be no negative responses on that model.

I also have a 69 Camaro Z/28 whihc retains it's 11:1 302 SBC. This car gave me a lot of trouble with hot starting over the years I have owned it (since 1984). But about 5 years ago I had the starter rebuilt as a factory high torque unit with a high temperature solenoid. I have had zero problems since then even after I added header two years ago.

This was my alternative route for the bird if I were to dump the mini starter