Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-22-2014, 10:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Non metallic metal particles in oil after rebuild

I've got 1100 miles on my 455 engine that's in my 76 TA since being rebuilt. The oil was changed right after first start up and now at 1100 miles. I cut both filters open and there is a little bit of metal particles in the bottom of each filter and they appear to be non metallic. I will try to post some pictures later. I used snips to cut them open. Sometimes the engine will pop back thru the carb when starting up but it really seems to run pretty good. The carb has not been rebuilt, the engine has new plugs and wires. The pop thru the carb has me concerned. Thanks

Old 04-23-2014, 12:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Do you mean non-magnetic? Could be bronze from the distributor gear?

Old 04-23-2014, 06:54 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yes non magnetic, the pieces I checked so far will not stick to a magnet and look like metal particles.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Too much to guess at here!
Is your oil pressure still the same when the motor is hot as when it only had 10 miles on the motor?
Who rebuilt the motor?
Stock bottom end?
New or old cam bearings?
You can pull the intake and the valley pan and look into the block and see if the bottom of the piston skirts have scratches on them which would put non magnetic crap into the oil, other than that it may be pull the oil pan time.
Back firing thru the carb on start up could be from not enough base timing, or a intake valve hanging open,possibly due to a miss adjusted lift, , or a bad lifter.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 04-23-2014, 07:34 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The engine was built by a local shop that has a good reputation, and it was kept basically stock. New bearings, pistons, cam, oil pump. The oil pressure is close I believe. The oil pressure gauge was fluttering before rebuild and I replaced the sending unit before the rebuild but it did not help and its still fluttering so I need to install another gauge

Old 04-23-2014, 09:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Make sure you timing is stable as you increase rpm with great importance to that above 4000 rpm, and also that your total timing is not over 38 degrees with the vacuum advance disconnected and the vacuum line pugged.
If you have a loud exh system, than at full throttle you will not hear the motor ping/ knock at full throttle And you will pound out the rod bearings And do damage to the stock rods in no time!

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!