THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-01-2021, 12:47 AM

Question Q-Jet Fuel Filter Options?

In the past, I've always swapped to Holleys and the like for performance applications and just chucked the Q-Jets off to the side, but one of my 70 T/A's is about as original as any car Ive ever owned and I'd like to keep it that way, so the Q-Jet stays.

Noticed a bit of a hard start yesterday as well as falling on her face when hitting high RPM's from a dig.

The bowl seemed to be draining down after sitting for a while, so I figured I'd replace the fuel filter as shes been sitting for months and I wasn't sure what was in there.

Picked up a cheap shorty filter with check valve from VatoZone, but when I opened her up, she had a sintered bronze filter.

The difference was night and day

No more falling flat and she seems to be starting up just fine even after hours of sitting.

Now, from a performance standpoint, I know the check valves are generally frowned upon as they can restrict flow upstairs and can get sticky and fail, but it's been years since I really messed around with one of these things and now I'm wondering if there are better filtering options nowadays

I found this screen type filter, but looks like it doesn't have a valve to prevent drainback issues.

Just curious, but does anyone make a high flow screen type filter with a check valve?

Old 06-01-2021, 10:54 AM
Senior Chief

Just some thoughts
a) I like QJs particularly the 800 cfm ones.
b) Have never seen a Holley I could not make leak.
c) Even had a QJ on my Corvair Corsa. Great for autocrossing.
d) Have seen at least three different paper and sintered bronze filters. The spring is to unseat the filter if it gets clogged and allow bypass flow.
e) I like lotsa carbs. Only FI is better.
f) Had several cars with 400 cid or more & Muncies. Easy trans to slide off the line and speed shift. Several times I had ones go ded near the top of third. Always fixed with a new high capacity fuel pump.
g) Agree the center float bowl is kinda small.
h) Bowls that leak down were usually leaky plugs in the bottom of the bowl. A little dab of marine epoxy used to fix.