THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old Yesterday, 11:29 PM
Senior Chief

Default Unrestored 1966 Pontiac GTO - Jay Leno's Garage

An original beauty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8K5TNHnyTU

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 59safaricat For This Useful Post:
Old Today, 07:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Amazing! Thanks for posting!

Old Today, 07:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's my Dad, and Grandpa, by my his brand new '66 GTO. In St. Louis obviously. It was 389, 4-barrel, 4-speed, M.S., M.B, 3.89 gears. Later on, engine built by Matt Johnson (solid lifter cam, Holley 650 double pumper, headers, etc). He also put aluminum slots and G-60 Wide-Ovals on it. He said a G-60 was the widest tire you could buy at the time (IIRC).

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dad's 66.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	634713  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JSchmitz For This Useful Post:
Old Today, 02:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Too bad that Jay and the owner don't really know about these cars.
I learned that the 326 in the 'Le Mah' was a small block but the 389 was a big block.

I learned that the tripower was not a factory option but only dealer installed.

I learned that the GTO became it's own series in 1965

I learned that power brakes don't have any vacuum booster

And that $4200 in '66 is equivalent to $100,000 today. (not the actual 41,000)

Still, a very cool original old car, for sure.

Old Today, 03:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
Too bad that Jay and the owner don't really know about these cars.
I learned that the 326 in the 'Le Mah' was a small block but the 389 was a big block.

I learned that the tripower was not a factory option but only dealer installed.

I learned that the GTO became it's own series in 1965

I learned that power brakes don't have any vacuum booster

And that $4200 in '66 is equivalent to $100,000 today. (not the actual 41,000)

Still, a very cool original old car, for sure.
Jay also made up some ridiculous price for A/C and said it was 1/3 the cost of the car...

2015 Challenger R/T Plus, hemi, Sublime
Old Today, 03:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice car to feature and always great to see a Pontiac on Jay Leno's Garage. Unfortunate that Jay has so much incorrect information about that GTO and I have to assume many other cars he features. He has so many cars, and such a diverse collection, I have to give him a pass I guess. As someone who knows very little about pre-war cars, some of the exotics and steam cars, you just can't know it all. Someone probably throws him a bullet point list with lots of mistakes they pulled from AI on the internet, and he just repeats it. Still enjoy his shows and collection.

Old Today, 03:27 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOnly70 View Post
Jay also made up some ridiculous price for A/C and said it was 1/3 the cost of the car...
Sad commentary, you’d figure that Jay and his show producers would have done at least a little research.

Here’s the reproduction window sticker I had made using the PHS documentation I received for my ‘64 Le Mans convertible.

$345.60 for the air conditioning option on a base price $2796.00 Le Mans convertible, that’s almost 12.5% of the base price which made it a costly option but hardly 1/3 of the cost of the car.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	080B106D-8CA7-4DBB-8008-0FE861122AB8.jpeg
Views:	11
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	634735  

Old Today, 05:11 PM

That was a very nice 66 GTO, had to laugh at all the mistakes with that interview. I can't believe how bad Jay Leno is starting to look, he sounded like a very old man when talking and he has dropped a lot of weight. I imagine a lot has to do with his wife's declining health.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis H. For This Useful Post:
Old Today, 05:53 PM
Senior Chief

Yes, lots of wrong information and Jays driving is getting atrocious (all over the road) but that's how it goes in older age.

He will soon have to permanently hang up his 5000 keys pretty soon.

Old Today, 06:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jay is getting old, He repeats many things over and over.
Yes, there were clearly some A-typical Pontiac misinformation flubs but that goes on with almost all the online BS.
I guess we expect more from Jay but he's human too.

It was a Great GTO and I enjoyed the coverage regardless.

I liked the mention of the new '66 grills being "Plastic" with the special name, not many ever talk about and/or know this.

Old Today, 06:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Beautiful car. I can’t believe the 389 weighs 90 more pounds than the 326.😂

Old Today, 07:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've only watched the very first part so far. I did catch the tri-power dealer install thing. Bad... I was more concentrating on the car and story about it. Technical accuracy gets slaughtered all the time on TV. Even Roadkill lays a few stinkers now and then.

Old Today, 07:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I guess my car had the Super Duty optional radiator.

Old Today, 09:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tiger interior? Factory would add vinyl roofs whenever their paint guy was having a bad day? PMD = Pontiac Motor... Company. Actual original miles? Speedo disconnected. Daughters even said mom got a speeding ticket because she had no idea how fast she was going. Tripower was only available as a dealer install in 64-65? WS code tells you which transmission was used? Dearborn, M20, M21. Super Duty radiator? Tropical package? 50 year old differentials will fall apart if you burn rubber. Jay noted that the original MC had been tossed in favor of something more modern and then assumed, twice, that it has power brakes. Car "probably would have blown up" if it had been driven, so engine rebuild.

New owner looked nervous when they were about to head out and then, for no reason whatsoever, Jay decided to back up. Panic. "Klastic"? Repeated it several times. 35% lighter? No, the grilles were 35 *pounds* lighter, that's huge. The hood is the same as 65, but not the quarter panels. They stopped making the 426 Hemi because... ten million cars. The 200 or so Ram Air 66s had a 380 horse rating. Simulated wood wheel? "Hurr, no trees gave their life in the making of this car". Except there's real wood on the dash, directly in their line of sight and it has the optional shifter knob as well. Deluxe seat belts because... daughters in the back? No, it's just nicer stainless trim. This episode of Musclecar Memories was terrible.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Leno goes backwards.png
Views:	9
Size:	251.5 KB
ID:	634753  

The Following User Says Thank You to 242177P For This Useful Post:
Old Today, 10:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Somewhat of a neat car, but not sure what to believe from the new owner as he doesn’t have all his facts straight on the ‘66 GTO.

Maybe I messed it, but did anyone take photos of the build sheet that was supposedly on top of the gas tank to verify those special order red pinstripes?

It would be great to have the PHS for this car.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5005.jpeg
Views:	0
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	634754  

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.

Last edited by 60sstuff; Today at 11:06 PM.
Old Today, 11:04 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242177P View Post
50 year old differentials will fall apart if you burn rubber.
Ehhh, before my grandpa passed in 2001, I was asking him questions about the 59 Safari (he was the one and only original owner). One question was if he changed the oil in the differential. He responded with "You're supposed to change the oil in that?" When I got it running in 2004, I checked the oil in the diff, pulled the plug, oil came running out. Popped the plug in and called it good enough at that point. Was burning in rubber in 2004 with original oil, zero problems. Still burning out in 2009 with original oil at 50 years old and the limited slip rear end still miraculously worked. Diffs are not THAT delicate but the '59 has the ultra beefy 9.3" in it though.