Old 01-24-2009, 06:29 AM

Default Flood Pants

That is my dad's 67 GTO back in, oh, 67 probably. This is out by Delta park in Portland Oregon for anyone familiar with the area.

Is there anyone here who was into the street racing scene in Portland in those years??

The taller gentleman in the back is Mike Dodson. That Chevelle SS was for a period of time the fastest car in Portland. Of course back then all the motor heads knew who had the fast street cars. There was a legendary race out on I-84 which earned that Chevelle the honors. A guy by the last name Elmer, son of Elmer's Pancakes, who had a hot 427 Vette raced Mike and his Chevelle 396. As I mentioned before you already know who won that race and in doing so earned the honors of the fastest street car in town. That Chevelle was one serious car especially for the time. I beleive Mike had that car in the very low 11's before it was all said and done.

Not having even been born yet I just love looking at old photos like this and hearing the stories from my dad and his friends. I have been living a love affair with the GTO since as far back as I can remember. Thank You Dad!!

PS Look at the highwaters on those chaps!! Comedy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dad's '67.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	155564  

Old 01-24-2009, 06:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool picture, thanks for the memories.
That Chevelle might have been a wee bit faster, but it sure was a LOT uglier.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:50 AM

Haha, yes this was always my dad's argument. Followed by ya well you only have to see the tail lights... etc.

Back when my dad had his '66 goat and Mike had just got the Chevelle they were scheduled to race for 20 bucks. Mike happen to stop by my dad's place unannounced one afternoon prior to the race and he found my dad sneaking a set of headers on his 389. Man, Mike backed out of that race so quick it made heads spin. They still laugh at that one and my dad always felt that it might have been a blessing. That 396 4 bolt was no nonsense even before all the work.. Like you said though, a GTO for me thank you very much..

Old 01-24-2009, 06:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep, one of the best feeling's I could give em, was letting them see my tail lights!