Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 12-08-2012, 11:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Vacuum pump tech

From over on YB. For some of you here it may be easier to take from George than it was from me the last go around. (NHRA Pro stock bike engien builder)
^^^not intended to start crap or bash, just a little friendly smartassizum

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=531428

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many racers and fans still dont understand vacuum pumps and why they help.
I had to write a tech article once about this...
I am going to share it here, to open a once and for all thread on the hows and whys of the dreaded Vacuum pump....these are ideas and experience of mine and I welcome comments, questions and additional info to add .

Run up to a full 10th quicker with vacuum pumps!

Vacuum pumps can help you run up to a full tenth quicker.
They make lots of power increases because they allow the top ring to stay sealed "longer" in the rev range.
Many racers think it is because of other reasons, but, truth is, all pistons and rings will lose their seal at "some" rpm.
This is when the pressure below the ring is greater than the pressure above the ring.
When you rev the engine so high that the piston stops at TDC, the ring tries to keep going, losing contact with the bottom of the top ring groove.

So, the vac pump can pull negative pressure on the entire area under the rings.
It includes the sump area and all space under the pistons. The bigger the area, the more "storage" tank you have for vacuum.
What we have found over the years is that the oil system loses PSI at the same rate as the vacuum increases.
Vacuum is measured in inches of pressure and the oil system is measured in pounds per square inch.
So, the vacuum pump will reduce the oil PSI a little. Remember your gauge is zeroed to atmosphere, not inside the sump.

When we use the big electric vacuum pumps, we fire engine first, then turn on the pump. If you are racing, it will be up to full vacuum by the time you stage and you will have oil PSI.
The biggest danger when using the vac pump is starting the engine after an oil and filter change, because the entire oil PSI system is empty of oil and full of air.
If you turn on your vacuum pump before the oil PSI is primed back to normal, it is possible to run the engine dry of lube and you will lose the crankshaft.

If your vacuum pump pumps oil out into your overflow tank (puke tank), you have a bad leak in the system.
This could be anything from a minor manifold end seal or gasket leak, up to, as bad as a hole in a piston.
We run new and sealed gaskets and turn seals around backwards to maximize our vacuum advantages.
The more vacuum we pull on the crankcase, the higher we can rev the engine before ring seal loss.
Please be mindful of this information and write me for answers to questions.

Have fun and go quick!

"May the POWER be with you"

PROUD SPONSORS OF THE YELLOWBULLET .COM NATIONALS!!!!

We build only cool stuff, from HEMI to Harley
Please go to www.starracing.com and check us out.
We race cars and bikes.
Please go see www.b2cars.com to see HEMIs
My "day job" is hoppin up Harleys.

ph. 248-259-6696
Old 12-08-2012, 11:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Darn good read & great info!!!

Old 12-09-2012, 11:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

So, does this subscribe to your theory on vacuum pumps?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 12-09-2012, 11:46 AM
Senior Chief

This shows a lack of understanding about how a closed system will be affected by pressure and vacuum. Starting an engine with vacuum in the crankcase will have NO effect on the oil system's ability to prime since it is pumping into an area that is also under vacuum.
An engine with no air in the crankcase (total vacuum) will show less pressure on the oil gauge, but that will have NO effect on the pressure or volume of oil that the bearings and other engine components receive. It shows less pressure on the gauge because it lacks the 14 psi atmospheric boost. But again it doesn't have to overcome this boost in the area the oil is being pumped into.
Here is a little thought experiment. Imagine a crankcase you could pressurize to 100 psi. The oil pressure gauge would now read 100 psi. (yes it will put pressure on the oil gauge). However oil will not magically start flowing through the oil system since it is a closed system. Now start this engine. If it normally produced 75 psi oil pressure, the gauge would now read 175 psi. (pump pressure plus pre-charge pressure). The pressure from the pre-charge has no effect on the oil system pressure or flow whether the engine is running or not.
Same with NO air in the crankcase of this imaginary engine(total vacuum). If you used a pressure/vacuum gauge on the oil system, it would read the equivalent of -14 psi (yes it would put suction on the oil gauge). However oil will not magically start flowing backwards through the oil system since it is a closed system. Now start this engine. If it normally produced 75 psi oil pressure, the gauge would now read 61 psi.(pump pressure minus the 14 psi atmospheric boost). The vacuum in the crankcase has No effect on the oil system pressure or flow whether the engine is running or not.
Oil pressure gauges on earth are calibrated to read 0 in our atmosphere. An oil pressure gauge will read a little less in an engine with a vacuum pump, not because it has less oil pressure but because the gauge is not calibrated right. It is calibrated for atmospheric pressure, not crankcase pressure.

Last edited by cosgrove; 12-09-2012 at 11:59 AM. Reason: addition
Old 12-09-2012, 11:58 AM
Boost Engineer

[QUOTE=john marcella;4800176]From over on YB. For some of you here it may be easier to take from George than it was from me the last go around. (NHRA Pro stock bike engien builder)

Quote:
Originally Posted by john marcella View Post
From over on YB. For some of you here it may be easier to take from George than it was from me the last go around. (NHRA Pro stock bike engien builder)

"When you rev the engine so high that the piston stops at TDC, the ring tries to keep going, losing contact with the bottom of the top ring groove."
I believe John that every Piston has a dwell time in an engine, does it not?

Why would you have to "rev the engine so high that the piston stops" when the actual engine has a Dwell time at BDC and TDC for every revolution that it makes.

The guy might be a "NHRA Pro stock bike engien builder" but he is off a bit in his understanding of basic engine design principals. That being said, I have known many many smart racers who did not understand how the Physics worked but were outstanding tuners and engine builders (not engine designers).

Not starting ant **it either.

Agree or disagree, Does the engine Dwell at BDC and TDC no matter what the rpm is?

Tom Vaught

ps Agree, cosgrove, "george" doesn't understand several things.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:41 PM

Default vacumm pump

can anyone tell me how to stop my vacum pump from pulling oil out . it will probably pull a quart out about every 10 passes. i have changed vacum regulators i have changed locations where i pull out of valve covers, currently running valve covers Butlers built for me. i have no oil leaks when removed and am running evac tubes. pulls 13-15 onces of vacum. pump came as a kit from tin indian.
any help would be appreciated
hill461

Old 12-09-2012, 06:54 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by hill461 View Post
can anyone tell me how to stop my vacum pump from pulling oil out . it will probably pull a quart out about every 10 passes. i have changed vacum regulators i have changed locations where i pull out of valve covers, currently running valve covers Butlers built for me. i have no oil leaks when removed and am running evac tubes. pulls 13-15 onces of vacum. pump came as a kit from tin indian.
any help would be appreciated
hill461
If your crankcase is tight(lets no air in), and your ring seal is very good, oil is easy to control. Otherwise it can be pretty tough. But where you pull air out of the motor is important. Pull from center of valve cover near the intake seems to work. A baffle there helps too.
Mine pulled more oil than that before new pistons and rings. Now it pull nothing but a little water vapor. Try running 12-13 hg.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosgrove View Post
This shows a lack of understanding about how a closed system will be affected by pressure and vacuum. Starting an engine with vacuum in the crankcase will have NO effect on the oil system's ability to prime since it is pumping into an area that is also under vacuum.
An engine with no air in the crankcase (total vacuum) will show less pressure on the oil gauge, but that will have NO effect on the pressure or volume of oil that the bearings and other engine components receive. It shows less pressure on the gauge because it lacks the 14 psi atmospheric boost. But again it doesn't have to overcome this boost in the area the oil is being pumped into.
Here is a little thought experiment. Imagine a crankcase you could pressurize to 100 psi. The oil pressure gauge would now read 100 psi. (yes it will put pressure on the oil gauge). However oil will not magically start flowing through the oil system since it is a closed system. Now start this engine. If it normally produced 75 psi oil pressure, the gauge would now read 175 psi. (pump pressure plus pre-charge pressure). The pressure from the pre-charge has no effect on the oil system pressure or flow whether the engine is running or not.
Same with NO air in the crankcase of this imaginary engine(total vacuum). If you used a pressure/vacuum gauge on the oil system, it would read the equivalent of -14 psi (yes it would put suction on the oil gauge). However oil will not magically start flowing backwards through the oil system since it is a closed system. Now start this engine. If it normally produced 75 psi oil pressure, the gauge would now read 61 psi.(pump pressure minus the 14 psi atmospheric boost). The vacuum in the crankcase has No effect on the oil system pressure or flow whether the engine is running or not.
Oil pressure gauges on earth are calibrated to read 0 in our atmosphere. An oil pressure gauge will read a little less in an engine with a vacuum pump, not because it has less oil pressure but because the gauge is not calibrated right. It is calibrated for atmospheric pressure, not crankcase pressure.
Post #7 in that thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bryce View Post
We pull 25 inches on wet sump and 25 inches on dry sump...the oil psi reduction is in gauge reading only.
If you put put the gauge inside the oil pan, it would still be the same as with out vacuum pump.
Please have other engine builders chime in.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

These are the most over thought threads on this board. MAJOR EYE ROLL and FACE PALM.

Being dead, it is not hard on you. You don't even know you're dead. It is hard on everyone else that is not dead.
BEING STUPID WORKS THE SAME WAY! The rest of us suffer.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:08 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike leech View Post
These are the most over thought threads on this board. MAJOR EYE ROLL and FACE PALM.
It's because we're such "deep thinkers". LMAO

Old 12-10-2012, 07:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes LMAO!

Being dead, it is not hard on you. You don't even know you're dead. It is hard on everyone else that is not dead.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Agree or disagree, Does the engine Dwell at BDC and TDC no matter what the rpm is?

Tom Vaught

Anything that reverses direction traveling on a straight line has to "stop" at one point. I read his point to be, that at high RPM the ring wants to keep traveling when the piston is stopped? I don't have any idea how that relates to anything, but I think that was what he was saying?

Old 12-10-2012, 11:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench View Post

Tom Vaught

Anything that reverses direction traveling on a straight line has to "stop" at one point. I read his point to be, that at high RPM the ring wants to keep traveling when the piston is stopped? I don't have any idea how that relates to anything, but I think that was what he was saying?
bingo

Old 12-11-2012, 07:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike leech View Post
We use a vacuum pump on a rotary engine, with a dry sump. It works well.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Could be for Rotor cooling too, depending on how ya look at these things.