Old 06-24-2008, 08:22 PM

Default 71/72 Ram Air System

I was thinking about buying this system for my 71 GTO 455HO car but I am not sure if it is right for my car. The lid is chrome which I know is not right but was wondering if somebody chromed the orginal lid? Also the diaphragms are missing are they available or reproduced or just as hard to find as the system? Thanks for any help you guys can give me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	144739335_tp.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	134141   Click image for larger version

Name:	144739598_tp.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	134142   Click image for larger version

Name:	144739808_tp.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	134143   Click image for larger version

Name:	144739679_tp.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	134144   Click image for larger version

Name:	144739756_tp.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	134145  

Last edited by JOHNNYGOAT; 06-24-2008 at 08:50 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:45 PM

Reproductions are available for most 71-72 ram air parts...Hood Pan, rubber boots, diaphrams, supports, etc..They are not exact replicas or origional quality but I used it all on mine. They are available from Aames and PY. Also your air cleaner has the studs coming out of the bottom of the snorkles for the air cleaner support brackets...cool. The replicas don't have them and if you search earlier threads here there was a whole discussion about them. I think they help keep the snorkels and boots in a tighter seal around the hood pan openings. I can't answer the question about the chrome lid on your air cleaner..you might be right that it was chromed. The shape looks correct.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had a RA air cleaner years ago that was also modified like this one, someone removed the thermac valves/doors for more airflow. They also cut the openings bigger in the air cleaner where the boots from the hood rest. You may want to have the seller take some pics without the home made boots attached to the snorkles to see if this one has been modified there also. If your going for a factory look you'll want to correct those modifications & fixing the snorkle holes if they've been cut oversize isn't an easy job.

I'm not sure if the repro thermac parts will fit in the original air cleaners or not, you'll almost need to have them side by side to compare.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No chrome lids after 1970. Painted lids only. Check the latest HPP for some good pics (especially the last page) of a RA system for '71/'72.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Okay, a couple of things on this lid. You can get the vacuum diaphrams as they are reproduced, BUT they are not correct. The hose attachment is turned about a quarter turn and the arm where it attaches to the flap(door) is MUCH shorter than original. They are made to fit the repo'd air cleaners so they won't sit in the right configuration in an original air cleaner. I have one similar to the one for sale, it is missing the flaps. You can buy the flaps repo'd. They are close, but not quite right. Fit is off slightly and won't completely cover the warm air hole. I have searched for originals, but haven't found any. Also, the repo'd flaps don't have the little "tent" in the flap where the vac. diaphram attaches. The repo'd flaps attaches underneath and they are flat. You can use original diaphrams from other air cleaners with the repo'd flaps, you will just have to shorten the attachment rod and make a new bend to connect to the repo flap. I have taken off ones from single snorkel air cleaners and will be using those as they are the exact same. Only way one will be able to tell is by the missing "tent".....that little bump in the flap. Hopefully the seller still has the flaps(doors)....be sure to check.

I'll take some pics of what I have and post when I get a chance.

Last edited by PB; 06-24-2008 at 10:56 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:06 PM

Do you guys think it would be better to just buy a repo. How is the quality and fit. Do you weld studs onto to the snorkels.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here are some pics of what I described above. REPO on the left, ORIG on the right.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P6240122.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	134233   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6240123.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	134234  

Old 06-24-2008, 11:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

First pic shows the repo vs original...shorter connecting rod and the vac connection is on the OPPOSITE side.

Second pic is of the bracket that holds the diaphram. FONT is WAY off from original. You should be able to find these no problem...cob em off old single snorkels.

3rd and 4th pic is of the flaps (doors). Very close and Better than nothing. BUT, not quite right. Note in the 4th pic the "tent" I refer to.

Hope these help. I bought these and will be retro fitting the flaps into my original pan. The lay person probably won't be able to catch it...the missing tent. I have thought of grafting one onto the repo ones, but I think it will be more work than reasonable.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P6240124.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	134235   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6240125.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	134238   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6240126.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	134239   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6240127.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	134240  

Old 06-24-2008, 11:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNYGOAT View Post
Do you guys think it would be better to just buy a repo. How is the quality and fit. Do you weld studs onto to the snorkels.
Bill Nicholson would be the one to chime in here... BN you out there? He has put in a repo system WITH all the flaps and vacuum diaphrams. My understanding is they are close, but fit is not all that good. If you are not concerned with originality, then I'd go for the repo, it will be a lot cheaper in the long run than tracking down originals. Trust me on this one here... .

You could purchase the one above, but with the flaps and diaphrams missing, that price is a little steep, JMO. Though, I wouldn't hesitate if they were all there.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The air cleaner is from a 71, it has the correct rounded bumps in the pan and the one flat spot at the back.

I have one that has been modified as well, it will still work, but not correct...sad!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rapan.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	304.1 KB
ID:	134262  

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 06-25-2008, 08:57 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

PB
Thanks for sharing the photo's and info. This is the kind of stuff that makes this site so valuable.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
The air cleaner is from a 71, it has the correct rounded bumps in the pan and the one flat spot at the back.

I have one that has been modified as well, it will still work, but not correct...sad!
Chris,

Mine looked similar to yours before I started, only though that back hole on mine wasn't quite as big! I took a donor single snorkel air cleaner and cut out the curved section and grafted them in. I would have to point out where the holes were in order for you to see them now...it turned out great. I think you could do the same with this cleaner.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustedgoat View Post
PB
Thanks for sharing the photo's and info. This is the kind of stuff that makes this site so valuable.

Glad to do it. Especially since I have been working on one in the same condition!

Old 06-25-2008, 10:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's the one I'm talking about. I bought this air cleaner for the flaps (doors) to put in a nicer condition one that is missing the flaps. I will install the repo doors and original vac cannisters in this one and no one will be the wiser....EXCEPT those reading this . I was able to bend the smashed down pre heater connection lip back. It turned out pretty good. At least now I can get an elbow on that bad boy!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8cf7_1.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	134283   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00144.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	134284   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB080186.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	134285   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB080188.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	134286  

Old 06-25-2008, 10:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

IF you do buy that, be sure to see a pic with those homemade boots removed. Like Steve said, many times they would cut the openings there where the boots sit. If that is the case, I'd steer clear unless for cheap or don't mind the openings.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:24 PM

Thanks PB Great pictures and info. All you guys have been a great help. Still decicing what to do. Will have to check those holes.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just one last thing. Can you put the repo air cleaner on a car with an HIE distrib?

Old 06-25-2008, 05:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Awesome info and pictures Pat! Thanks for taking the time to post and explain. I have a repop on my 71 HO car and one problem that I have is that it will not set properly on the 7041273 Carb. A casting on the passenger side that looks like it protects the secondary linkage or something - hits the underside of the breather and causes it to sit to high on that side. I would love to see an original next to a repop to see the difference in the forming of the donut. The original has to have some sort of offset indention to accomodate that part of the original carb so that the breather will sit flush and everything line up right.

BJ

Old 06-25-2008, 05:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is a pic of an original inside and back side I have on my puter, see if you can see any differences here BJ. Post a pic of your repo and maybe we can hash it out

Oh, that pic on the left below, is the one that had two holes in it for a holly. Looks pretty nice eh?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1090288.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	134352   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB080190.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	134353  

Old 06-25-2008, 07:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Peters View Post
No chrome lids after 1970. Painted lids only. Check the latest HPP for some good pics (especially the last page) of a RA system for '71/'72.
That picture on the last page looks familiar...

Mike