Old Yesterday, 08:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 73 Fuel Tank

Which vendor/Company sells the nicest replacement fuel tank for the 1973 cars? The SD car I am putting back together is probably going to need a new tank. Not for the usual reasons either. It looks like the right rear corner area of the tank is pretty crunched in. Guessing from a floor jack slipping off the rear shackle area sometime in the car's life? Really don't know and there is really no easy way to fix what I have. It doesn't look too bad but I guess I should replace it while the tank is out anyway. I will reuse the level sender. It is still in good condition. What's the nicest and why? If Ames has quality tanks, that would be extra convenient because I could pick it up at Norwalk. But it seems nearly 90% of the stuff they sell is from China. I had heard there was a quality tank made in Canada? Looking forward to hearing from the experts.

Old Yesterday, 09:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I used a spectre tank in my 72, got it from summit or rock auto. Quality & fit was excellent & after ~10 years its looking & working great. Has a 1 piece filler neck too vs the ones I see with a rubber sleeve in the middle.

Old Yesterday, 10:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
I used a spectre tank in my 72, got it from summit or rock auto. Quality & fit was excellent & after ~10 years its looking & working great. Has a 1 piece filler neck too vs the ones I see with a rubber sleeve in the middle.
I think those tanks are the ones made in Canada. The OE neck is almost straight, no rubber and no internal restriction like the later ones. My OE tank has 5 total hose connection points. 3 in the tank itself and 2 from the sending unit. Do all the replacement tanks have the 5 hose connections in the correct locations?

Old Yesterday, 10:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes I recall seeing or reading the made in canada.

Many of the aftermarket tanks for these cars, such as the tanks inc one have the 2 piece filler neck with the rubber sleeve, mine is 1 piece and is not straight, has a slight curve or bend to it to route up to the license plate area.

The vents are year specific from what I found, you can order a 1970 pre emissions with no vents, or the years that have vents should be in the right locations, will need to research them to confirm though.

Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They replaced the gas tank in my low mileage Formula back in 2011-12 time period. The only thing I don't like is the original cap is a little finicky when tightening. Maybe tipping the filler down would help.
Spectra Premium is probably what they used and would be a PN of GM42B.
2 of the hose connections go to the sender (or 1 if no return) and 3 nipples that go to the fuel/vapor separator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GasCapFit.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	634260