Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-21-2024, 10:04 AM
Suspended

Default does anyone have a 700r4 chevy trans bolted up to a Pontiacx block using an adapter?

Just wondering? Was it a big deal doing it? Speedway sells the adapter plate and I suppose there re others.

I came back make that pontiac, not pontiacx

Old 05-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Pretty common. Anyone that runs an overdrive transmission is using a Chevy to BOP adapter. The lone exception of course would be if you're running an aftermarket bellhousing on something like a 4l60e, or you have a 200r4 which has the BOP bolt pattern naturally on it's bell housing.

I run a simple Jegs adapter plate on my engine for the 4l80e. It's easy to install and works as intended.

Most adapter plates will come with spacers to add between your torque converter and possibly the pilot. If you're having a torque converter built, you can also have them add the necessary pads directly to the torque converter as well as adding to the pilot depth where necessary. If the adapter you buy does not come with a pilot extension, they can be purchased independently.

It's also important to note that the adapter reduces the number of bolts physically holding the transmission to the engine and uses some blind holes that mount the adapter to the transmission, but are not connected to the engine in any way. As a result, you have less sheer strength holding the transmission to the engine. This is typically not an issue until you start getting into a good bit of HP and you may be racing the car with very good traction. If you get to that point, a mid-plate is the better option.

Old 05-21-2024, 02:04 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMounce View Post
Pretty common. Anyone that runs an overdrive transmission is using a Chevy to BOP adapter. The lone exception of course would be if you're running an aftermarket bellhousing on something like a 4l60e, or you have a 200r4 which has the BOP bolt pattern naturally on it's bell housing.

I run a simple Jegs adapter plate on my engine for the 4l80e. It's easy to install and works as intended.

Most adapter plates will come with spacers to add between your torque converter and possibly the pilot. If you're having a torque converter built, you can also have them add the necessary pads directly to the torque converter as well as adding to the pilot depth where necessary. If the adapter you buy does not come with a pilot extension, they can be purchased independently.

It's also important to note that the adapter reduces the number of bolts physically holding the transmission to the engine and uses some blind holes that mount the adapter to the transmission, but are not connected to the engine in any way. As a result, you have less sheer strength holding the transmission to the engine. This is typically not an issue until you start getting into a good bit of HP and you may be racing the car with very good traction. If you get to that point, a mid-plate is the better option.
Thanks that's just what I needed to know.

Old 05-23-2024, 08:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Or run a 4l80e with a bellhousing adapter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20240330_175612852.MP.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	634142  

1971 Trans Am Lucy Blue, 11.56 @ 115
1966 LeMans. 462, SD prepped Kaufman D ports. 11.90 @ 112
1976 Trans Am twin turbo 462, SD Edelbrock heads 8.50@159
2009 G8 GT
Old 05-23-2024, 02:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

First one I used was back in 2000 to put a 700r4 in my '69 Firebird 400, and I now have one on my OHC L6 connecting up a 4L60e. They work fine. Bonus if you put longer alignment dowels, but typically work decently with standard ones.

The Silver Buick- '77 Skylark coupe w/455, SPX, MegaSquirt 3 & TKO-600 (Drag Week 2011, 2012 & 2015!)

1969 Firebird with a turbo'd Pontiac L6 controlled by a MegaSquirt 3 and backed with a microsquirt controlled 4L60e and 4.56 gears! (Drag Week 2018!)
Old 05-23-2024, 04:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've had a 700R4 bolted to my 455 for many years now. It was very easy. I use the bowtie overdrives TV cable setup. Had to get a custom length driveshaft. I love the 700R4. My car is a street cruiser that gets highway use too. I've got a Chevy 12 bolt rear end too with 3.73 gears.