Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-04-2022, 02:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default water tenp

I have run out of places to put the sender for the coolant "HOT" light. I'm not using the heater hose connection on the top rear of the cylinder head. Would it be accurate to put the sender where the fitting is now located?

Old 03-04-2022, 07:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, you know usually water flows to the heater core from back there, but in your case not using it will give a bit of a different reading I would think, as it's not flowing water to the heater core and then back to the water pump. Your still gonna be able to know when the engine is too hot. When the sensor is located in the crossover, your monitoring the water that comes through the block then the heads and before it goes to the rad when thermostat opens.
Only thing is the water has to mix in the head and travels to the crossover, which is does on drive side head anyway. So it shouldn't be that far off. My opinion. As long as your aware of how you have things setup.
I guess another thing to be aware off, that the sensing part of the sensor sits down enough into the water flow as if too high it might be a place air gets trapped.

68 Firebird. IA2 block, 505 cu in, SD Performance E-head, Solid roller 3600 weight. Reid TH400 4:11 gear. 29" slick.
Best so far 9.95@134 mph. 1.43 60 ft.
76 Trans am, TKX .81 o/d, 3.73 Moser rearend,
468 with KRE D-ports, Doug headers, 3" Exh.
Old 03-04-2022, 10:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That’s where mine is

Old 03-05-2022, 12:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks. Make life simpler.