Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 12-07-2003, 08:21 AM

Hey

I got a 1978 and a 1979 Trans Am. The problem am having is on the '78, i put the car in to get an MoT(UK) and they found that when the rear end was jacked up and they pulled on the wheel there was a linear movement on the axle shaft, so you could pull it out and push it in slightly. They though it was the bearings so i replaced them myself(Not the easiest job). But its still doing the same thing! I replaced the c-locks that hold the axle shaft in place cause they were a little worn, but still no dice!
So finally i checked the axle on the '79 and it does the same! It moves the exact same amount! So are both axles at fault or do all Trans Ams axles do this? And could I get away with telling the MoT man this? They are both Limted Slip Diffs.

Cheers for any help!

Stu

Old 12-07-2003, 08:21 AM

Hey

I got a 1978 and a 1979 Trans Am. The problem am having is on the '78, i put the car in to get an MoT(UK) and they found that when the rear end was jacked up and they pulled on the wheel there was a linear movement on the axle shaft, so you could pull it out and push it in slightly. They though it was the bearings so i replaced them myself(Not the easiest job). But its still doing the same thing! I replaced the c-locks that hold the axle shaft in place cause they were a little worn, but still no dice!
So finally i checked the axle on the '79 and it does the same! It moves the exact same amount! So are both axles at fault or do all Trans Ams axles do this? And could I get away with telling the MoT man this? They are both Limted Slip Diffs.

Cheers for any help!

Stu

Old 12-07-2003, 08:50 AM

if it has a c-clip diff in it the axle shaft will have a small amount of endplay.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 12-07-2003, 11:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You do get a noticeable end play normally with 8.5" c-clip axles. Do you have dial indicator you can use to measure exact end play? I did a quick search for previous posts on this but all I found was spec for 8.2" BOP axle (0.032" max).
http://forums.performanceyears.com/g...8772#183608772
This axle is retained by axle brgs rather than c-clips but you can see end play can be quite high and still be acceptable.
I can't tell from photo but is car right hand drive? If not, it must be hairy overtaking!

Old 12-07-2003, 03:35 PM

It is a usual left hand drive, but it just makes overtaken all that more exciting!

Thanks for that Info. it should help me convince the MoT man to pass my car.

Cheers

Stu

Old 12-07-2003, 10:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

MoT? Is that pronounced, Mo' T'?

Old 12-07-2003, 11:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think it's pronounced Ministry of Transportation. Same in Canada

Old 12-08-2003, 01:41 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have looked at everything I have and for the C-clip rear end It shows no listing for end play. BOP rears are.0001-.0022. DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT!!!
It's just good ol' yankee engineering!!