Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-08-2023, 05:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default installing motor

Ok, enough of this fooling around, that puppy is going in tomorrow...........had a few questions for you guys that have done this on a regular basis.

Right now i have the motor on my cradle, i plan to put the mounts & bellhousing on tomorrow.

So all thats on the motor is the manifold................robbmc mini starter................oil filter housing adapter....................this is for a 66 gto, will this go in the way it sits.

Read somewhere, not sure if its accurate, someone said you could get one header in with the motor............

I did this back in 2010, then i put the headers in the engine bay..........i thought i had the oil filter adapter on it...............cant remember.

Thanks

Rich

Old 06-08-2023, 05:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Think its just easier setting headers in the bay. The oil filter adapter I think is much easier to install once headers are all bolted up, depending some times it’s harder to maneuver headers once oil filter housing is all ready bolted on. Of course the bell housing shouldn’t be a problem at all. Its like headers are laying there, start lowering motor, stop pull headers up in place then lower some more, some times stick block of wood under collectors to hold headers in place. Then drop motor completely, just got play around.

Old 06-08-2023, 05:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I definitely never had luck with the header is bolted to the motor and trying to put them in. The block of wood under collectors helps keeping headers up in place so their not constantly falling down. Couple of 2x4’s screwed together. You can kind of judge by eye by holding collectors up how long they have to be. Especially if it’s a one-man operation, and no second hand helping.

Old 06-08-2023, 05:44 PM

No way you’re gonna bolt on one header and get that engine in there. Either lay them in place before setting the engine in or put them in from underneath.

The starter and filter adapter are just more obstacles for when you’re trying to get the headers in place and bolted on, leave them off is my advice. The mini starter is lightweight so easy to install after everything is in place.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2023, 06:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah forget about starter, agree leave off.

Old 06-08-2023, 08:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow, the only two things i have on, i need to take off............lol................i can see the starter wont be too bad to put back on........... But Gach, im not sure what im doing wrong, but i couldnt get that oil filter adapter off while it was in the car to save my life.............there got to be something with my car and that adapter, i cant even see one bolt, let alone get my hand and a wrench up there.............this should be an interesting day tomorrow.

For B-man, probably a dumb question..................how much trouble putting headers on from underneath the car..............i do not have a lift................thinking just putting them in the bay which i did along time ago...............well, guess i have to take a few parts off tomorrow.

Rich

Old 06-08-2023, 08:50 PM

Lay the headers in the bay.

Use some house wire or coat hangers to hold them in place over a couple old towels to protect the inner fenders.

Leave the filter adapter and see before you go about removing it.

Old 06-08-2023, 09:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtorich View Post
Wow, the only two things i have on, i need to take off............lol................i can see the starter wont be too bad to put back on........... But Gach, im not sure what im doing wrong, but i couldnt get that oil filter adapter off while it was in the car to save my life.............there got to be something with my car and that adapter, i cant even see one bolt, let alone get my hand and a wrench up there.............this should be an interesting day tomorrow.

For B-man, probably a dumb question..................how much trouble putting headers on from underneath the car..............i do not have a lift................thinking just putting them in the bay which i did along time ago...............well, guess i have to take a few parts off tomorrow.
Rich
You can probably do it with the oil filter adaptor on the motor . Just leave the filter off . Headers are a no go leave them off starter off. . These guys are giving you good info .spot on. But if it’s that hard for the oil filter adaptor try it w it on. I’ve done it before .

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 06-08-2023, 10:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah if its that hard to get at while headers are bolted up, then leave bolted up. Yeah I’ve done coat hanger wire trick. Might be easier, or if possible stick a bolt in collector.

Old 06-09-2023, 01:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It!s been a Long time but both times I did mine I left the starter and oil filter adaptor off. I wrapped the headers in bubble wrap and hung them off bungee cords on both sides.

Old 06-09-2023, 03:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Long zip ties are you friend when it comes to holding your headers in the right spot while installing your engine.
So is Gorilla Tape around your header areas that lay on stuff while installing your engine.

Old 06-09-2023, 06:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Doesn't anyone have a roll of mechanics wire anymore ?

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 06-09-2023, 08:20 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I just did this with my 67. Both headers and starter off and oil adapter on. I am using Dougs Dports. Starter on before header go on.

Good luck to ya!

Old 06-09-2023, 07:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just wanted to thank you guys again for the help.............took me 3 hrs but i got it in...........i think if i had a 4bbl with that tilt deal, would have been easier, had to take off the bellhousing, just wouldnt go with that on............and the headers were a headache...................i dont even have the gaskets on yet..........lol

Should be a good trick getting those remflex gaskets on without wrecking them............will try tomorrow.

I guess new motor mounts make a difference................quite a bit of room on the oil pan now.............before i might have had a 1/8 inch.

Also had to take off my oil adapter off............almost fit....................didnt get too many scratches, so good to go.

Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Motor in today (3).JPG
Views:	99
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	614004   Click image for larger version

Name:	Motor in today (4).JPG
Views:	102
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	614005   Click image for larger version

Name:	Motor in today (5).JPG
Views:	108
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	614006  

Old 06-09-2023, 08:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good job Rich ! God that brings back memories of my 66 GTO. Your getting there

Old 06-09-2023, 09:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I know plain in butt, you can always get the Mr Gasket ones from Butler. Thats the thing about dropping motors in time goes by and don’t remember what it took last time, so never know until D-day comes. Nice I didn’t know it’s a Tri Power one. Them 3 puppies.

Old 06-09-2023, 09:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Rich, do you have the oil filter adapter that the bottom is angled in towards the engine? A bodies need the angled one, rather than the 90 degree adapter that fits F, and B bodies. The 90 degree one will fit in an A body, but the filter will damn near rub the inner part of the frame rail.

Headers have to be in the frame when you set the engine in, bolt them on before you hook up the motor mounts preferably with the engine hanging. The higher the cylinder heads are from the chassis the easier it is to start the header bolts, and tighten them because of the added working room.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 06-09-2023, 11:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Picture of the 90 degree adapter for all but A bodies:

Picture of angled oil filter adapter for A bodies:

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following User Says Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2023, 07:36 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default oil filter housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
Rich, do you have the oil filter adapter that the bottom is angled in towards the engine? A bodies need the angled one, rather than the 90 degree adapter that fits F, and B bodies. The 90 degree one will fit in an A body, but the filter will damn near rub the inner part of the frame rail.

Headers have to be in the frame when you set the engine in, bolt them on before you hook up the motor mounts preferably with the engine hanging. The higher the cylinder heads are from the chassis the easier it is to start the header bolts, and tighten them because of the added working room.

Correct I had the 90 degree adapter on when I installed my engine but could not get a filter to fit. I put the angled on and problem solved.

Old 06-10-2023, 08:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Rich, if you have a good sharp pair of sheet metal sheers do this .
Bolt the headers up with all the bolts, but let it dangle off of them.

Next cut your header gaskets into 3 sections , each end port and the center.
Next cut slots for each bolt out of each gasket section .
This will allow you to rock the header and drop in each gasket section from the top.

This method also helps with relieving sheering forces induced by the motor rocking and the exh system trying to keep it from doing such.
This action leads to torn header gaskets .

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!