Old 05-13-2002, 03:17 PM

Hey guys, new to the forum, but I have a frame off resto going on a 70 goat. i was wondering if any of you know where i can get a replacement dash pad, not a cover. Ames, OPG, yearone, none of them have it, and am looking for some help.

Old 05-13-2002, 03:17 PM

Hey guys, new to the forum, but I have a frame off resto going on a 70 goat. i was wondering if any of you know where i can get a replacement dash pad, not a cover. Ames, OPG, yearone, none of them have it, and am looking for some help.

Old 05-13-2002, 03:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Have to send your dashpad to Just Dashes in CA.

http://www.justdashes.com/index_home.htm

Have personally done this many times & am about to bite the bullet on two 70-71 dashs & one 4spd console resto's . Looking at about $600 with your 69, 70-71, or 72 core. FWIW, I have never had smaller earlier dashs restored but prices on the earlier ones will be cheaper. Color matches usually run more on their restored dashs, but they do get it right!

Alternatives...I would not even consider the slightly cheaper competitor. Have a couple of friends who had three '70 1/2-77 Firebird pads done by the competitor all at the same time. They all turned out pathetic, grain pattern was WAY off for one thing.

[ May 13, 2002, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: ol' Pinion head ]

Old 05-13-2002, 05:29 PM
Senior Chief

Welcome aboard! I agree w/ OPH. I just got my dash back from Just Dashes and it is Perfect!! I was a little iffy about paying that much but now that I have it I'm totally satisfied. I sent them my glove box door to be re-dyed so it would match the dash pad perfectly. You say you're doing a frame-off? I wouldn't think twice about sending it to Just Dashes. My total was $650 w/ shipping and the glove box. This was for a black pad with a good core. Check out their website at http://www.justdashes.com/. If you want, email me and I'll send you some pics of my pad. Good Luck!

Old 05-13-2002, 05:45 PM

Yeah, I did know of Just Dashes but was looking for a cheaper alternative, I guess I'll just do that. . Now for the other questions.....

I'm looking for the best parts, and was wondering what to do for;

1. Lowering the front of the car 1-2 inches, what would the best components for that be, like what springs and stuff should i get?

2. I am looking for Ram Air IV parts, i have some but need replacements and new parts, so i was looking for a cheap place to get them, i have The Paddock, OPG, Yearone, and Ames catalogs, and the parts run pretty expensive there.

3. I have the Rallye II's but they were painted black, whats a good restoration for those, or some tips, I could use all the help I can get, and should i just go with BFG Radial T/A's?

Thanks, I'll have more questions coming, and if you guys wanna give me some heads up on stuff to do while I have the frame off, stuff that you might regret not doing, anything that will make the car better, thanks a lot!

Old 05-13-2002, 06:11 PM
On Vacation

1. One word, Hotchkiss.

2. I have a set of heads.

3. All depends on how correct you want to get.

Old 05-13-2002, 06:20 PM

hmmmm, i can do anything for tires, i see that you like in MA as well, so u know the weather sucks. The parts i need for the Ram Air are the pan, rubber air filter, stuff like that, im thinking about hooking it up to a non pontiac 455, but i do have the 400 (in peices). Are you going to the swap meet coming up? 16th-18th this month.

Old 05-13-2002, 06:47 PM

i was very happy with the quality of my "Just Dashes" dash. i bought it about 5 or 6 years ago, the price was around $675, i can't remember if they required a core or not. it was really a quality job - brendan

Old 05-13-2002, 06:51 PM
On Vacation

See my post in the "Shows" section.

Old 05-13-2002, 07:25 PM

Another question, do any of you know of a 4.10 rear end made stock in 1970 on GTO's? Thats what i have and im trying to find out where its from, none of the codes on it check out, ill post them soon, but what do you guys think the best rear end ratio is? I have the 4 speed stick hurst, and it was a 400ci RA IV.

Old 05-13-2002, 08:09 PM
On Vacation

You could get any ratio up to 4.33's.

Old 05-13-2002, 08:52 PM
On Vacation

Ram Air...Is the 4 speed a M21 (close) or M20 (wide). That information will narrow down the rear end ratios.

The ratio in 1970
3.07 automatic only
3.08 non-automatic
4.33 non-automatic M-21 only, no a/c

[ May 13, 2002, 09:07 PM: Message edited by: Glenn ]

Old 05-13-2002, 09:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Build sheet will show speedo adapter on 4.33 equipped cars. All RA4 4 speeds will get M21 close ratio box, most received 3.90's. M22 (HD close ratio) was not used until '71 production in Pontiacs.

[ May 13, 2002, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: ol' Pinion head ]

Old 05-14-2002, 06:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you get the phs documentation it may help you with some of your questions.

http://www.phs-online.com/

[ May 14, 2002, 06:20 AM: Message edited by: R 70 Judge ]

Spotts Built 484" IA2, Highports, EFI Northwind
Terminator X sequential EFI fabrication and suspension by
https://www.funkhouserracecars.com/
Old 05-14-2002, 04:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

70,I have said this before here and I mean no disrespect to you,Everyone wants "cheap"prices or good prices for their cars,but in this hobby,it sometimes does not work out.If you are doing a body -off on a real RAM AIR IV you have a very sought after and expensive car.This is an expensive hobby sometimes and for a car like you have get the best parts,it will be better $ wise in the long run.Good luck.All the best bigpop

Old 05-20-2002, 07:46 PM

Hey guys, for the front, I'm gonna go with Hotchkis springs to lower it a bit, what else do I need? Can I just throw those in when I put it all back together? How about wheel spacing, do i need to modify the wheel wells, I'm gonna go with 15x8 Rallye II's the front, with BFGoodwrench P275/60-15's, but if I decide to change my mind on the wheel/tire combo, how big do you think I could go? Also, if you have any tips or stuff to look out for, I could use all the help u can give, thanks!