Old 05-13-2017, 09:37 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 1964 GTO hoods

I saw this on Facebook.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...00000905888541
Looks pretty good.

Old 05-13-2017, 03:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hood does look nice except for the lack of holes for front Crest. Not sure if it could be made to work or just left off.
No prices on the piece either.

Old 05-13-2017, 05:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They're getting very close along with scoops, fenders and core support. Todd says 4- 6 months, scoops have been test fit with excellent results.

Old 05-13-2017, 07:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hopefully he's going to do 65 fenders also.

Old 05-14-2017, 09:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I thought I saw some speculation on price in one of the posts. I think it was 16-1800 for the hood without scoops.

Old 05-15-2017, 03:07 PM

Price I saw on Facebook stated $1000 for the hood.

Old 05-15-2017, 03:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have a call/email in....trying to get pricing and availability. As well as, some idea of fit on the car. Hopefully, I hear back soon.

Quote:
Price I saw on Facebook stated $1000 for the hood.
I saw that too....but couldn't figure out where that figure came from.

Old 05-15-2017, 04:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Says Kirban's scoops not up to par. Are there two sources for scoops now?

Old 05-15-2017, 11:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

https://m.facebook.com/groups/372292...74229879444652

Old 05-16-2017, 12:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Link not operational.

Old 05-17-2017, 05:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here is a pic of the hood
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170515_220107.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	454778  

Old 05-18-2017, 12:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

WOW!! Nice to see it made production!
Any idea on price?

Old 05-18-2017, 12:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Retail price is $1000 On the hood. I guess Todd got the exclusive on the initial release and got 25 at wholesale price.
Jimmy says the fit is excellent. I trust his judgment based on his work. Yes, they forgot to stamp the holes for the crest, but otherwise it looks great.
It's a great day for 64 owners and not so great for those hoarding less than great 64 hoods.
64 decklid is in process and so are 64 fenders.

Old 05-18-2017, 02:38 PM
Senior Chief

Send a message via AIM to 1968firebird455

Based on dealer pricing when they become available to the dealers, hoods will be around $850 and Scoops around $300 retail

Old 05-18-2017, 02:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That sounds like a very fair price to me. Does it include the inner structure and correct in all respects (except for the missing arrowhead hole stamping)?

On the decklid, if it includes the inner structure, I wonder if they are replicating the cutout/edge pattern structure or the closed/smooth pattern?

Don't recall if it was ever determined if this was an early vs. late thing or if the closed pattern was an indication of a Service Replacement? Seems late cars got the closed/smooth pattern inner structure that was similar to how they were done for '65 up.

First discussed here:

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...hlight=decklid

Personally, I hope they do the cutout/edged style as it seems to have been far more prevalent.

But it would be nice if we could ever pin down when the change was made By Plant for historical accuracy.

Old 05-18-2017, 05:53 PM
Senior Chief

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post
That sounds like a very fair price to me. Does it include the inner structure and correct in all respects (except for the missing arrowhead hole stamping)?

On the decklid, if it includes the inner structure, I wonder if they are replicating the cutout/edge pattern structure or the closed/smooth pattern?

But it would be nice if we could ever pin down when the change was made By Plant for historical accuracy.
HOOD-It would have to include the inner structure (IS), if not, it isn’t a very good deal. What are the chances of someone having a good IS if the OEM hood is bent or they don’t have a hood? I’m looking at my 64 hood and after the IS was installed, the hood was run through a press to bend the edges to force/crimp/hold the IS in place, has several tangs that are bent over to hold the IS as well as spot welds around the perimeter. Things to look for on the repop if requiring absolute correctness. EDIT: On second thought I guess the IS could be an option item but it would a pain to duplicate the OEM install for "correct in all repects" per your interrogatory

DECK LID-The assembly plant had nothing to do with it, it depended on what the stamping plant sent. These parts were made by numerous Fisher Body stamping plants and one or more plants may have been stamping the cut type while others were stamping the smooth type. Stamping design changes were directed by GM engineering and on these “non-appearance” items the change was usually made after the existing dies wore out. It also depended on what was is the supply chain. It was most likely a mix of both until the more prevalent type took over. Pic is from original 64 GTO deck lid, built third week of June, Pontiac.

With these repop hoods I've got a feeling were going to see a lot of "newly" discovered 64 Goats!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lid.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	454865  

Last edited by 64-3Deuces; 05-18-2017 at 06:05 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Based on previous discussion, if the closed/smooth pattern decklid was used in '64 production, it appears to have happened relatively late.

I realize the change originated in the stamping plants although I'm not so certain that all that many stamping plants were involved in the production of Tempest stampings.

But the variability is likely to be made evident by Assembly Plant, meaning, perhaps the closed/smooth decklid started to appear at KC earlier than they did at Fremont. And so on.

A 3rd week June Pontiac build is fairly late. But that is the only "dated" Pontiac build reported so far.

At Fremont, 7C & 7D builds had the smooth. A 3C and my 11D Fremont builds have cutouts. Andre had a pretty late Fremont build with the cutout style. He thought it was a June build but never confirmed.

Reports showed smooth decklids from April, one each at KC & Balt. Could it be the Chevy controlled KC and Balt Plants were the first to get the smooth decklids?

We simply haven't logged enough data to know.

A couple years ago at the Pittsburgh GTOAA I eyeballed several '64s with each type but I never thought to log the Plant and Time Built code, missed opportunity.

And it is always difficult to ferret out the cars that retain their original decklid vs. one that was swapped especially if the decklid did not get a date code stamping when fabricated. I can't recall if I ever checked for a date code on my own decklid, I don't think I did. I have the luxury of checking it carefully now but will need to make a trip to the shop to eyeball it (used to be easier when the entire car was stored in my garage!).

I think you are right about the use of the repop hoods. But it may be that we will mainly see some real GTOs that currently sport fiberglass hoods or some other incorrect hood now able to be "corrected" if the owner desires.

I'm curious what kind of market exists for it though. How many unrestored '64 GTOs remain that will need a hood? I applaud the effort, I hope it pans out.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:51 PM
Senior Chief

John V.
Good analysis, enjoyed reading your posts since I joined. Based on your recent post and the posts I read in the link on deck lids, it looks both styles were used though inconsistently among plants. I’ve also looked at several GTO picture websites for trunk pics and the few 64s, 65s and a 66 or 67 that were pictured had both styles.

I agree that not all stamping plants made Tempest stampings. My dad worked at the Fisher Body stamping plant in Willow Springs, IL and if I recall that plant stamped out roofs and fenders. Maybe one plant started with one design, started the second design and still stamped the first as the dies were still good, both in the supply chain, regional stamping plant? As you said not enough data to know. I believe both designs to be factory correct.

Attached are some pics of an 8K mile survivor 64, built third week May, Pontiac.
The deck lid on my 64 is original and I will take a look for any date codes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	454884   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	454885  

Last edited by 64-3Deuces; 05-18-2017 at 11:16 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64-3Deuces View Post
I’ve also looked at several GTO picture websites for trunk pics and the few 64s, 65s and a 66 or 67 that were pictured had both styles.
Well that's news. I was under the impression that ALL '65 up decklids had the smooth style.

If both styles continued beyond '64, that is an important insight.

I wonder if the popularity of the Tempest in general caused an expansion of production during the '64 MY.

Here's what I am thinking. At the start of '64 production perhaps only 1 or maybe a couple Stamping Plants were producing the decklid/inner structure for all 4 Assembly Plants.

Maybe all of them had the cutout/edged inner structure.

Then as sales took off, 1 or more additional Stamping Plants were quickly pressed into production of the Tempest decklid (conceivable that the other GM A bodies shared the same decklid inner structure but I have no idea about that).

Perhaps the tooling made for the added Plant(s) omitted the tooling needed for the cutouts. I have no idea if the tooling was omitted to expedite the production or if they decided the steel scrap value didn't justify the expense of the extra tooling.

That could explain why the smooth style began to appear relatively late in '64 production and also explain both styles appearing in '65.

Previously, I thought the cutout/edged style was discontinued at the end of the '64 MY, my thinking was that PMD decided the smooth style was "better", whether for cost reasons or production simplification reasons or even as a product improvement.

But if both styles remained in production after '64, I think it must have been just a Stamping Plant variation and then just a matter of which Assembly Plants were being supplied by which Stamping Plants at any given time as to which decklid will show up on a particular build.

I also think both types are correct but I was hoping to see enough data to support my opinion. I also think more data could determine when the smooth style began to appear in '64 by Assembly Plant.

I'm still curious to learn which style will be used for the repop decklid.

If you spot a date code or any markings on yours, let us know where to look. I will do the same the next chance I get to view mine. I am also confident mine is original, had the early style '64 Jack Instruction decal with cracks/scrapes in it exposing the original Pinehurst Green paint while all around the decal was the Maroon respray done years ago.

The 2nd style '64 Jack Instruction decal seems to have replaced the early style pretty early on, but that is a topic for another day!

Old 05-19-2017, 11:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, the hood has the full inner structure. It is reason to celebrate.
I don't know what the decklid inner structure will be like, but there is not too many among us who would believe that either of these parts would come to market. Least of all in 2017.
If the fenders do become a reality, that would be a trifecta.
What next? Radiator supports?
71-2 hoods and fenders.