Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 06-03-2024, 10:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It does look massive it's a forged cross drilled Scat crank I'm pretty sure they all look like that

Old 06-04-2024, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Corcoran View Post
It does look massive it's a forged cross drilled Scat crank I'm pretty sure they all look like that
You're right about that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7870.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	634711  

Old 06-09-2024, 12:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I lapped in the valves and they were all good so no grinding necessary. I just completed figuring my push rod length. My e-heads have Ferrea 6,000 series stainless steel valves. The intakes 2.19 and exhaust 1.77. Ferrea intake valves are .055 longer than the exhaust valves, they don't seem to make these in the same length. They were like this for many years and set up that way when I bought them over twenty years ago. I didn't notice this until I already had my new PAC-1243 valve springs and started shimming the springs at 1.85 installed height. I use spring locators because I don't like to have the springs directly on top of the shims as it seems to eat them up even with hardened shims. The shims are installed under the seat to protect the shims plus the locator stabilizes the spring and prevents them from moving around. Anyhow because of the different length valves it created a bit of a challenge for me. I didn't have enough space on the exhaust spring seats. I needed to have the exhaust spring seats machined down about .055 or install +.050 valve locks and decided to take the easy way. All shims installed and 270 lb. on the seat and 660 lb. open at max lift. When I started to compute my valve train geometry I didn't have adequate clearance between the rocker arms and the valve retainer. To get more clearance for the Crower SS 1.65 rocker arms I put lash caps on the intake but there was no room for them on the exhaust valves. Now I needed .050 valve locks with a deep recess for lash caps and a shallow depth lash cap to make it work. I looked high and low and could not find them. I was even told they don't make a +.050 lash cap with a recess for a lash cap. I refused to give up and low and behold Precision Product out of North Carolina had them in stock. With lash caps installed on all the valves I now have plenty of clearance. To obtain proper geometry the roller tip of the rocker should be in the middle of the valve at 1/2 net lift. If using solid lifters you need to calculate this with the proper last set. I used soft checking springs an adjusted push rod and a dial indicator to find max net lift and exact 1/2 lift. I set the lash clearance then found max lift, then divided it in half and rotated the engine to 1/2 lift and verified the position of the rocker roller. I adjusted the pushrod in .050 increments until I was happy that the roller was in the correct position at 1/2 lift. Because pushrods are usually available in lengths plus or minus .050 I was not able to get the roller exactly in the middle. On the Intake with a 9.2 pushrod length the roller was slightly towards the center of the engine. With a 9.25 length it was slightly to the outside but closer to the center than with the 9.2 length. Same process on the exhaust valve, the exhaust came in at 9.3. Some engine builders prefer to have the roller slightly to the outside and that is what I did. Now I call Butler and order the pushrods.

https://www.pppcenter.com/valve-locks

https://butlerperformance.com/c-1234...-pushrods.html
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Valve Train Geometry 2.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	635043   Click image for larger version

Name:	Valve Train Geometry 1.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	635044  

Old 06-14-2024, 08:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Always make sure you verify you have enough clearance between the piston and the valve. With head gasket installed and head torqued, not full torque but you should at least partially crush the head gasket. Put some modeling clay in the valve pockets and then put some oil on the valves so the clay will stick to the piston and not the valve. Make sure you have the same rocker arms you will be using set the lash then turn the engine over slowly a few times then remove the heads and measure the clearance. Mine measured .120 on the exhaust and .180 on the intake.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Piston to Valve Clearance 1.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	635350   Click image for larger version

Name:	Piston to Valve Clearance 2.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	635351  

Old 06-15-2024, 09:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You can also use a light spring and then move the valve by hand until it hits the piston to measure the difference with a dial indicator Usually around 8-12 degrees BTDC and ATDC are the closest. Using the same head gasket under the head planned also.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs