View Single Post
Old 02-06-2021, 05:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If converting from an automatic to manual, a hole is cut in the tunnel where the shifter will come up and the shifter porch is necessary to give some height and clearance for the shifter mechanism whether stock 4 speed or aftermarket 5 speed. It is attached to the tunnel by welding, sheet metal screws, or rivets and made of sheet metal. Ames Performance has it listed on page 284 of their GTO catalog.

I've had all sorts of clutches and have had some problems with chatter and smooth engagements the farther I've gotten away from stock organic. Worse was the dual disk which preferred to operate as an on and off switch followed by the ceramic where there was always a bit of chatter with partial engagement when backing up. I'm using an organic/Kevlar disk at the moment and it is working out pretty good. A standard organic/organic would be worth it just for dead smooth operation, but so far the half Kevlar is acceptable.

My cam is about half way between the Old Faithful and Road Paver and on the flat it can cruise along down to 1,800 on level road. I've got 3.73's, 28" tall tires, and the .68 overdrive and it's only around 50-55 that I need to drop down to 4th. Never a problem going up a grade over 60 MPH.