View Single Post
Old 09-13-2020, 05:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbnapier View Post
In April, I started building an engine, and today was the first real drive other than around the block and in running in the driveway for tuning purposes.

Downshifting while exiting the interstate, I lost power and needed to be towed home. I thought I had an electrical issue or something, but after going over the engine this afternoon, the worst is apparent. In nuetral, spark plugs out, dizzy out, I am unable to rotate the motor with a breaker bar.

A couple of the spark plug gaps had completely closed, indicating detonation or something weird.

It is a 0.040" over 455, 4.25" stroke. Butler rotation assembly, Stump Puller II cam, etc., etc., Pistons were dished for 91 CA gas. Tri-Power, medium ported #48 heads, etc. Everything redone, no expense spared. Block, heads, etc. all prepped by a really good machinist. Not a single leak.

I will have to sell the car as is. No more time or money. '65 GTO, 4 speed, 3.55 gears, PS, no AC. Not a stock, car, but a good mild restomod. I don't know what I can sell a non running GTO for, but hopefully cover my loss on the engine. Not a good Labor Day.
I would pull all the main caps and check and see if the radiuses on the crank are not seizing it up..