View Single Post
Old 06-02-2021, 07:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"Turned out that there is a 4" rubber hose in the center of the car, between the rear metal line and the front metal line and THAT little chunk had a tiny split and it was sucking air on hard acceleration. Never dripped or smelled of fuel, just let air into the system."

Everyone should read this several times and log it into your memory banks.

I could fill many pages with stories from customers who thought they had a fuel pump or carb problem only to find out they were sucking AIR someplace in the system instead of fuel. I've seen old rotten fuel lines that didn't leak one drop of gas put would suck gobs of air and the carb would NOT refill for any reason until the carb was primed enough to get the fuel pump going several hundred RPM"s.

I'll bet I get a half dozen calls a week from folks who tell me the bottom plugs in their carb are leaking (mostly a myth but I'll go into detail about that on another thread on another day) and they have to pour fuel either into the carb or down the throat of the carb after it sits a few days as will absolutely NOT start simply cranking the engine and pumping the accelerator.

I even had a recent customer BITCHING about his carb not working correctly. I asked about fuel lines, hoses, etc and he said the car was a fresh "high end" restoration and the tank, lines and hoses were all new. Turn out after countless emails and calls back and forth someone missed a clamp tucked up by the tank during the install and it was sucking air but didn't leak a drop of gasoline!........

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),