View Single Post
Old 03-25-2022, 03:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

I battled vapor lock for a number of years and although I was able to make it better, or curtail it for longer driving periods, I was never able to solve it myself until I went to a throttle body EFI setup and put the fuel under pressure.

If you are in a high altitude region that uses gasoline blended for high altitude use (Colorado, WY, upper mesa of AZ etc.) it may be hard, if not impossible to completely remedy the issue because of the temperatures that fuel boils at in these regions.

Based on the pictures you've provided I'd do a couple things.

1. Definitely run a return line from the fuel pump
2. Add a phenolic fuel pump insulator
3. Change the braided steel feed hose to a standard rubber fuel hose and use a heat shield on any lines in the engine bay

I see you're already running a phenolic/plastic spacer under the carb.

The ultimate goal is to keep the fuel as cool as you can. Anything that is sinking heat is putting that heat into the fuel. If your fuel system is up to the task, running the bowl in the carburetor with slightly less fuel will help, as it's not sinking heat for as long before it's consumed. The problem there of course is if your fuel system doesn't have the capacity to feed the engine everything it wants, all the time, without the reserve of the carb bowl, that creates it's own issues.

If you have the cooling capacity to do it, running the engine on a cooler thermostat, like a 160 would help as well. For that matter, if you can't keep the engine running on the thermostat at all and regularly run in the 200+ range, fixing that will also help the situation with vapor lock.