View Single Post
Old 01-31-2000, 12:01 AM

Hi All - I have a '71 GTO 4-speed 400 convertible. I've been attempting to locate the source of my factory AM/FM stereo blowing a fuse ONLY when the car is started cold. Very bizzare. I've replaced the engine wiring harness, the TCS switch (the TCS and radio share the same circuit), sent the radio out for repair, had the radio and 8-track harness rewired...all with no luck. If the car's been running at some point during the day, no problem, the fuse is fine. Since I ran out of ideas, I started investigating ground straps. I ordered the package from Ames that includes 3 straps. I replaced the strap on the firewall but can't find the location of the other two. At shows this past season, I noticed that 68-69 cars have a ground strap on the passenger side wheel well to frame. Some 70 cars had it as well. I've never seen it on a '71. Is it true that this strap is not present on a '71? If so, why - what's the difference? Also, where are there other ground strap locations that I should be checking?