View Single Post
Old 07-10-2021, 04:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jeff, hope you will still check your '73 for me, I'll keep reminding you on this thread! Seems like evidence will be difficult to collect. So I hope you'll come thru with yours.

Need the '71 & '72 4 spd owners to help out here too.

I will regurgitate what Roger posted along with the correction made and I've added some comments just to trigger more discussion. I will add my '73 Muncie to the list as well.

Mine came out of a '73 Corvette and was believed original to that car. The owner was swapping in a 5 or 6 speed and had no use for it.

I'm not conversant with what might look untouched vs. not so I'll just list the pertinent nos. There is no metal p/n tag present which I would think could help as the presence or lack of the original p/n tag is some evidence to support whether the side cover was original to that trans..

On the one I have in particular, the date coding on the side cover makes me think it might not be original to the trans. Until I can collect additional side cover date info, I can't really say one way or the other and I have no idea if the Corvette crowd would know what side cover is "correct" for a '73.

'73 Corvette
P3S02A (Model Year 1973, Assembled November 2, '72, M20 gears)
Partial VIN stamp: 13S407205 (Pretty early build, '73 Corvette VINs ranged 400001 thru 434464)
Side Cover: 3952648

'73 Muncie (application unknown)
P3R17A (Oct 17th) No partial VIN, no CTC or CC1 case, etc. Factory worker just missed stamping it.
Side cover: 335308, has original TCS switches on both bosses.
Original Lisle drain fittings, original bolts, & stamped steel locks on frt bearing retainer

'73 Trans AM (out of a late production TA though with a Feb 13 Trans Assembly date, how could Muncie know Pontiac wouldn't need the 335308 cover for an early production build)? Was Pontiac already ordering Muncie's at that point for the redesigned late production?)
P3B13B
Side cover: 3952648, TCS switch on 3/4 only.
Original partial VIN stamped out of late April built '73 BG M21 Trans Am
Original Lisle drain fittings, original bolts & stamped steel locks on frt bearing retainer

'74 Firebird
P4M14A partial VIN 24N103817
Side cover: 3952648
Original Lisle drain fittings, original bolts, & stamped steel locks on frt bearing retainer