View Single Post
Old 09-29-2023, 10:00 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by abefromen View Post
So after pulling the trans for the third time I was able to take a look at the PP in action.

Had someone push down on the clutch pedal and the disc dropped. It is releasing as it should be. But with the trans installed and engine running it will not go into gear. As soon as I shut the engine down I can shift into any gear.

When I had the trans out on the bench a while back I took the shift cover off to change the gasket. Reinstalled the shift cover and bench shifted it thru all gears. Also had the tail shaft housing off too to change the rear bushing. Nothing in the main case was taken apart.

I'm ruling out a trans issue because it shifts fine when engine is off and when I had it on the bench.

Trans was not hard to install either. Went right in practically by hand. Didn't draw it into the bell with bolts.

Still searching for an answer.
Thats the same symptom's i had in a 69 c10. It was 3 speed in the floor and didn't want to go into first with the engine running. You could put pressure on the shifter and at the same time turn off the ignition off and it would drop right into first gear. Had ran the tranny a little low on lube at one time, but before that it always shifted fine. I always blamed it on synchronizers after that. Later i bought a Muncie m20 4 speed and swapped it out and left the same clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing in place untouched. Solved the problem.