Thread: Total timing
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2023, 11:01 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
I think most all this stuff is made over seas now. MSD used to be made in Texas years ago but pretty sure even that is outsourced now. All this electronic stuff is just hit and miss. I've even had it not work right out of the box. Sometimes it waits till I'm far from home and quits, and sometimes it works perfectly fine for decades.
Only good ignition system I'm aware that isnt china is more commonly seen on high end high HP stuff and that's ICE from Australia. It's also expensive compared to the china stuff.
Yeah. The first MSD box you put in my Formula was bad right out of the box. The replacement seems to work fine over the years. You wired the ignition so that the box can quickly be taken out of the circuit and then just run on the points distributor. Shows a little pessimism on the reliability of MSD. LOL

MSD 6ALN was the NASCAR approved box back when I was messing around with asphalt late models. It was potted and non-serviceable and was made in the USA. I don’t know if that’s still, the case. Ran the same box for years with no problem, but it didn’t get used daily like a street car might.