View Single Post
Old 12-02-2019, 10:37 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If I had all of my carb issues to do over again, the first thing I would have done would be to weld a bung into my exhaust to hook up a wideband AFR gauge. You don't even have to find a place to permanently mount it in the car (though mine is in one of the old AC vents of the TA bezel). After you get your carb dialed in, you can take it all out if you want the car looking clean and put a plug in the bung and the whole setup on your shelf.

Forget about reading plugs, that's 9 parts voodoo and one part science. You can be lean at idle, rich at cruise, and lean with the secondaries...what is that plug going to look like?? No idea? Me either.

With the wideband you can know exactly what your AFR is in every driving condition and make the necessary adjustments.

77 Trans Am, 469 w/ported E-Heads via Kauffman, matched HSD intake, Butler Performance forged rotating assembly, Comp custom hyd roller, Q-jet, Art Carr 200 4R, 3.42s, 3 inch exhaust w/Doug's cutouts, D.U.I. Ignition. 7.40 in the 8th, 11.61@116.07 in the quarter...still tuning.