View Single Post
Old 11-29-2019, 07:34 PM

Default Terrible fuel mileage and black soot coming out of exhaust

I am thinking something is not right with my carb. Im getting terrible fuel economy, like around 7mpg mixed city and highway. I’m trying to keep my foot out of it and it’s still pretty bad. Also, a lot of black soot coming out of the exhaust when I start it after it has sat for a while. the condensation in the exhaust clinging to the black soot in the pipes and blowing it out on my driveway which is extremely annoying.

I had Harry at HK Motorsports tune the carburetor about six months ago and it seems like I was getting around 12-14 mpg afterwards.

I have noticed the car has been running rather rough even when warm so it dawned on me to check the choke. Sure enough the choke was partially closed when the engine was warm. I adjusted it slightly so choke is open when warm and it runs much better. I will check it tomorrow morning when cold to make sure it working properly. I have no idea why this changed? Maybe because it cooler out now and the engine stays around 160?

I am no carb tuning expert. Far from it. Do you guys have any ideas on why so much soot is blowing out of the exhaust? The exhaust smell is really strong when sitting at idle which makes me think it running rich at idle. What should I be checking for?

Engine is a 468 stroker, iron 670 heads (ported), factory intake (ported), and a Quadrajet from cliff (17059201).