View Single Post
Old 06-27-2021, 02:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't know anything about that dyno either, which makes the cam testing even better since I use KRE's dyno and folks are quick to criticize me when I put number up here because it's my testing, like I'm bias or something...FW

There is ALWAYS someone quick to point that out just like Steve did a few posts above this one. So with that said is it better that those dyno runs came from another dyno and we don't know anything about them?

You have to keep in mind the story with the two dyno runs and why I got them sent here. The engine was built by the shop that owns that dyno for a customer. It was their first Pontiac 455. They ported the #96 heads and on their flow bench they got 250cfm intake flow. It was your common Eagle Crank and rods in a 400 block.

The shop owner and engine builder called Comp Cams for a cam recommendation, they sold him the Comp XR276HR cam, 224/230/110LSA.

Engine gets finished up, broken in on their dyno, and has some audible detonation on the first couple of pulls and they don't have the timing up where it should be yet and power is WAY down from what they were shooting for. I get a call about it here because EVERYONE right down to the guy taking out the trash is blaming the Q-jet.

I asked some questions, and told them it wasn't the carb, it was the cam. The phone went silent for a few seconds, then we finished up the conversation. They removed the Q-jet, bolted on their "dyno mule" Holley 850 carb, cranked up the timing and blew up the engine on the dyno requiring all the crank and all the rod bearings to be replaced!

So I get another call telling me all this and asking for a cam recommendation. I gave them the older Old Faithful lobe profiles and told them to have it done on a 114LSA and set the ICL at 110. About two weeks later I get a call, and they are amazed at how well it runs, idles better and how much more power it makes. They sent the Q-jet here for me to check out during the engine repair/cam swap and ran it for the final numbers shown.

Maybe they should have ran their Holley again, it may have made even more power after they got a better cam in it?..........Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post: