View Single Post
Old 03-30-2022, 05:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
yes, thats the 3 hole pan.. very easy to roll the thin bead in the rubber seal & even if it doesnt roll or move its a weak seal. what rear main seal do you have, if its the BOP & your engine builder is familiar with installing them & knows to check the crank surface, chances are its not the source of the leak.

i just went through this with a milodon 7qt pan that uses that same seal, didnt leak quite as bad as yours but i thought it was a rear main. after replacing the the pan gasket & rear main (BOP) it still leaked, after talking with a couple pontiac guys, the fix was to use the 1/4" thick cork gasket in place of the rubber U seal with a good gasket sealer/RTV. been 6+ years on a 500+hp stroker motor & its still dry.

i'd start there if you confirm no other source up higher that could cause that big of a puddle. sounds like you verified it was coming directly from that area, after wiping it dry & running for a few minutes then let sit overnight, you should be able to see fresh oil, if its dry above that U seal its not from higher up on the block. also be sure you have the metal load spreaders for the corner pan bolts. another gasket option is the one piece BOP that gets great reviews.

good luck finding the leak, i hated dealing with mine for a couple weaks... i pulled the engine each time to replace the pan gasket, but when its that fresh of an install, it came out quick & easy.
This engine was in the car when I purchased it in 98. The previous owner had it built and I received no records on it. All I know for sure is what I've put into it or seen with my own eyes. Speed Pro slugs, stock rods, N crank. I did the top end and roller cam a couple years back. It's always had a few leaks here and there, but really started leaking 2 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Your oil pan does not seem to follow the rear main cap at 2:00 and 10:00 very well.
A thick cork gasket sometimes does a much better job.

Tom V.
I should have clarified, that's not my engine. Just a pic I found on the net of the oil pan for reference.