View Single Post
Old 03-30-2022, 01:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce
Default Common Leak Points?

Frustratingly I am still fighting a fairly substantial oil leak at the back of the engine after resealing the top end last year.

After 2-3 days there will be a puddle of oil about the size of a Folgers can directly below the rear of the engine at the crank housing.

While I was having some transmission work done last year I had the techs check to see if the rear main was leaking. I was advised that it was dry. However, oil pools on to the starter and flows to the bottom of the crank housing, between the block and torque converter where it drips.

I've tried a fluorescent oil dye, but have not been able to verify where the oil is coming from visually. The top of the block around the distributor housing is dry to the touch, so I know I'm not weeping oil out of the distributor housing or from the back of the valley pan.

I do have a known oil leak at the fuel pump block-off. I believe I need to seal the threads on that. I've not been able to see that leak flowing rearward to the back of the engine however.

At this point I'm looking for any ideas, but I think I'm going to end up having to deal with it for this driving season, then yank the engine in the fall for a complete refresh if I can't find the source of this thing.

Thanks in advance!