View Single Post
Old 11-13-2022, 01:04 PM
Senior Chief

I was an auto body mechanic for many years, and then I worked at an automotive paint store for a long time. While paint manufacturers try their hardest to ensure that all their base dyes are identical all the time, the truth is that suppliers change, sources change, and equipment changes, so that even the way the dye is processed can sometimes cause a minor shift in hue. Over the years, the base dyes change constantly while the mixed recipes stay the same, and the variations become greater and greater. Some manufacturers take these changes into account and modify their mixes, while others don't. I remember we had SO MANY COMPLAINTS one year when one of the black base dyes that Dupont provided in their ChromaBase line changed just enough to throw off every mix that used a significant amount of that base. Ultimately Dupont had to release whole new mix recipes for those colors and they had to apply a new part number to that base dye so that paint mix setups with the old dye still used the old recipe. But that's only because it was a large, sudden change. If it had been a small change, it would've taken another few iterations before anyone noticed.

Last edited by GoreMaker; 11-13-2022 at 01:11 PM.