Thread: Demon's Demise
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2006, 06:36 PM
Senior Chief

Shaker 455,

Barry actually does check in on the boards from time to time. Right now we’re up to 227 that we monitor on a regular to semi regular basis. Whenever there is something pertinent (like thread like this) he (and a few other people) gets copies of it. He normally won’t post on the boards to avoid pissing matches with people. But, please let me know any thoughts you have (you can always send me a PM) I’m always open to ideas to improve what we’re doing.

Tom,

I’m sure you’ve probably forgotten more about how carburetors were built than I could ever wish to know (not being sarcastic) and while I do agree with a lot of what you say I will have to respectfully disagree with others.

Back in the carbureted Muscle car days carburetor CFM ratings were varied within the exact same specifications. This was in the same time frame that the OEM’s had a dial on the crank to determine HP levels for the government. In the same token we, and every other carburetor modifier is guilty of numbers due to the fact that we would port a carburetor and then get an increased “Dry” air flow number which was published. With the proper porting you can easily get a 750 carburetor (at least one that started that way) to flow over 1000 CFM at 1.5” Hg.

Not exactly sure what you doubt about my flow numbers, but I’ll gladly send you an email about this in a few days so we can discuss it. I still have your email address. Taking a few days off for the holiday, and I’ll be up in Charlotte doing some dyno work, but I’ll get something off to you. I know my numbers can be backed up on a wet bench, while the numbers from Bowling Green do not. I’m not here to slam anyone nor do I want to get into that.

I agree better standards would help some (like yourself) in our industry that understands what they are looking at, but I think at this point would actually confuse others even more. Again I would personally rather do away with CFM numbers totally, and get down to the venturi size required.

If it really matters to you I was born in 1972. I’ll leave out any wise comments, or history about me since it really isn’t needed.

David,

Thanks for having a great site. I just wish it would be able to send me notifications when there are replies to a topic I’ve posted on. (Just had to throw that in there) Steve said he’s working on that.

Mike,

Once you get your timing deal straight. We should be able to help you through this pretty easy.

To All,

Have a very Safe and Happy 4th of July!!!

Technical Support

Barry Grant, Inc.

BG Fuel System, Demon Carburetors, Nitrous Works, Rush Filters

www.barrygrant.com