View Single Post
Old 02-05-2023, 01:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
Can't tell a thing from the video. But take a symptomatic approach. Before cam change, no noise, now the noise. So logic dictates cam change is the issue. .
Sorry for video quality, its all I had at the time. I cant say there was no noise before the cam change. I've basically had 10-15 minutes runtime with this engine prior to cam change, and it never idled below 1000 prior to the cam change. I just bought this car and I know nothing about the engine. The PO was evasive when I asked anything about the engine. So there were already red flags that the engine had issues, and I priced that into my offer.

When I had the cam out, I noticed some slight clanking when I turned the engine rapidly back-and-forth with a breaker bar. I looked down at the crank and rods through the valley and didn't see anything wrong. I should have dug further at that time, but I was so invested in the cam change I wanted to get that done first. I admit this is a failure in my diagnostic effort since I heard a noise while turning it over by hand. It sounded like it was coming from the back or behind the engine.

Right now I'm hoping it's a broken flexplate or a trans issue. I'll dig into it and report back. How safe is it to disconnect and push the converter back and run the engine by itself?

White '67 LeMans 407/TH350/Ford 3.89... RIP
Red '67 LeMans. 407/TH400/Ford 3.25