View Single Post
Old 05-19-2022, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
Loosen the thrust bearing cap, SMACK the crankshaft to the rear with a bigass deadblow or other cushioned hammer.

Then SMACK the crankshaft forward, torque the cap, see what the end-clearance is.

If half of the thrust main is slid forward, and half of the thrust main is slid rearward, there may be little or no clearance overall. When both pieces are slid forward, you'd likely have proper clearance, AND the thrust bearing is in the better position for accepting clutch or torque-converter thrust.

If that doesn't work, remove the thrust cap entirely, re-check end-play. I had an Oldsmobile with too-little end play, the machinist that cut the caps before the align hone got one tilted. The cap-side bearing wasn't square to the crank.
Thanks! this is what I was looking for. I'm going to try it tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDYA View Post
If you used a thick assembly lube on the faces of the thrust bearing that will take up clearance. Remove the crank, clean off the thrust bearing and check the end play dry. Like others have said, make sure both halves of the thrust bearing are aligned before torquing.
The lube I used was like syrup, so I'll check that too. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG View Post
Does the crank spin freely when rotating it with your hand?
Yes, no binding or spots that it's hard to turn.